Council Inspection Not My House?

Business By lipsticklover Updated 21 Feb 2016 , 4:43pm by Jinkies

lipsticklover Posted 20 Feb 2016 , 11:01pm
post #1 of 6

Hi all, I am a complete newbie and nowhere near the business stage but I was wondering as I live with my parents would I still be able to run a business, even if the house isn't my own? and do I also need 2 seperate sinks

thanks in advance x

5 replies
Jinkies Posted 21 Feb 2016 , 1:01am
post #2 of 6

If you're in the US, call your local health inspector. All states and towns within those states are different.  They should be able to guide you in the right direction.  Start at your local town hall :)

MimiFix Posted 21 Feb 2016 , 2:07am
post #3 of 6

It doesn't matter who owns the house, only that you live there. In the US, cottage food laws are usually regulated by the state dept of agriculture and markets. Only occasionally, does the local health dept take charge. A google search will help you find the right agency.

Jinkies Posted 21 Feb 2016 , 3:38am
post #4 of 6

Yes, the cottage laws do go by state, however, each town /city have their own rules and regulations.  What is acceptable in one town may not be in the next town over.  Some towns, you need to get a permit/license, some you don't.  Some you can work in your own kitchen, some you need to have a separate kitchen.  Some need a yearly inspection, some don't, etc etc....

Once, you know that you live in a cottage food state, you need to check with your local governing body to see what is/is not acceptable.

MimiFix Posted 21 Feb 2016 , 1:42pm
post #5 of 6

I agree with @Jinkies ‍.  Every locality is different. Finer points of the cottage food laws can be tricky and confusing, so let me rephrase my reply: If you really want to start a home-based baking business, it's important to find out at the state level, who has the final say.

In Florida, for example, local authorities have final say. But in NY, the State Department of Agriculture & Markets handles all home processor permits and local rules cannot override state law, even though local county health departments never allow home processing. So if someone living anywhere in NY first contacts their local health department, they are told it is not allowed.

My point, is the importance of knowing which authority makes the final decision. 

To complicate this further, Zoning laws always overrule licensing/permits.

Jinkies Posted 21 Feb 2016 , 4:43pm
post #6 of 6

@MimiFix ‍ That's a great point about NY.  Clear indication of one hand not knowing what the other is doing...or they just don't care.  It's all about politics and power isn't it?  Who's gonna make the final decision, while us poor slobs have to research our tails off and hope we're functioning legally...

Quote by @%username% on %date%