Best Gold Shimmer Lustre

Decorating By Gina-Molyneux Updated 21 Feb 2016 , 2:32am by maybenot

Gina-Molyneux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gina-Molyneux Posted 19 Feb 2016 , 6:36pm
post #1 of 4

Hi all, I wanted to ask for recommendations for light gold lustre to cover an entire cake, I recently saw a tv programme where the decorator appeared to brush a kind of wash all over the cake. I have attached a couple of photos to show the kind of effect I want. Any suggestions appreciated (I am located in England) [postimage id="2570" thumb="900"]

3 replies
maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 19 Feb 2016 , 10:24pm
post #2 of 4

I'm only seeing a white cake with painted gold filigree?

To go all over the cake, the shimmer needs to be edible because it can't be removed for eating.  Being in the UK, in order to comply fully with UK regulations from the Food Standards Agency, it's best to stick with edible color additives approved for use in the UK.

Obviously, there  are other edible colors from other countries [here in the US, Sterling Colors by The Sugar Art and Crystal Colors from Sugarpaste.com are 2--they are described as FDA-certified colors] and they're great, but I can't say that they're any better than what is available from UK manufacturers--and some of the ingredients may not meet Food Standards Agency requirements.   It may seem silly to be edible in one country and not in another, but that's the way it is.  I don't think that it's a huge issue, but it's something to consider.

The important thing is that a color additive not be described as "non-toxic", because if it's non-toxic [or "for decoration only"], IT'S NOT EDIBLE!  No food additive, or food product, is EVER described as "non-toxic".

SugarFlair, Rainbow Dust, and Squires Kitchen  [and these seem to be the least expensive] make lots of edible lustres/shimmers in shades of gold, as well as edible metallic paints that are easy to use.  They can be mixed with high quality lemon extract [holds the dust in place the best] or clear drinking spirits [vodka is best] to make paint.

PME also makes edible gold lustre spray that works well for all-over coverage.  It can be expensive because it takes multiple light coats to get good coverage, but it's quick & easy.

They're all quality products that provide great results and allow both the decorator and the recipient to feel good about the product being completely safe to eat.

I'm only seeing a white cake with painted gold filigree?

To go all over the cake, the shimmer needs to be edible because it can't be removed for eating.  Being in the UK, in order to comply fully with UK regulations from the Food Standards Agency, it's best to stick with edible color additives approved for use in the UK.

Obviously, there  are other edible colors from other countries [here in the US, Sterling Colors by The Sugar Art and Crystal Colors from Sugarpaste.com are 2--they are described as FDA-certified colors] and they're great, but I can't say that they're any better than what is available from UK manufacturers--and some of the ingredients may not meet Food Standards Agency requirements.   It may seem silly to be edible in one country and not in another, but that's the way it is.  I don't think that it's a huge issue, but it's something to consider. 

The important thing is that a color additive not be described as "non-toxic", because if it's non-toxic [or "for decoration only"], IT'S NOT EDIBLE!  No food additive, or food product, is EVER described as "non-toxic".

SugarFlair, Rainbow Dust, and Squires Kitchen  [and these seem to be the least expensive] make lots of edible lustres/shimmers in shades of gold, as well as edible metallic paints that are easy to use.  They can be mixed with high quality lemon extract [holds the dust in place the best] or clear drinking spirits [vodka is best] to make paint.

PME also makes edible gold lustre spray that works well for all-over coverage.  It can be expensive because it takes multiple light coats to get good coverage, but it's quick & easy.

They're all quality products that provide great results and allow both the decorator and the recipient to feel good about the product being completely safe to eat.

Read more at http://www.cakecentral.com/forum/t/828178/best-gold-shimmer-lustre#GhSxRzAx6Cqux6J8.99

Gina-Molyneux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gina-Molyneux Posted 20 Feb 2016 , 9:30am
post #3 of 4

Many thanks for your help smile.png

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 21 Feb 2016 , 2:32am
post #4 of 4

I hope that I was helpful and we'd love to see the cake when you're finished, along with information on which product you use.

Happy Decorating!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%