If I Bake It And Just Have You Decorate It, Will It Be Cheaper???

Business By Choles_Creations Updated 19 Feb 2016 , 7:59pm by RocioMass

Choles_Creations Posted 19 Feb 2016 , 4:30pm
post #1 of 7

Seriously,  It's almost enough to make you want to quit baking.  I recently had someone order 3 dozen cupcakes for a first birthday.  Easy enough.  Simple white cupcakes, with cream cheese icing and fondant stars on top.  Then day before yesterday I get a text saying that they are running short on cash and want to know if they bake the cupcakes themselves and just have me decorate them, would that be cheaper.   ugh.  I haven't responded, because I don't even know what to say.  Obviously, I don't want my name attached to someone else's damn cupcakes.  I have my own recipe and my cupcakes are damn good.  Any suggestions on a nice way of responding to this ridiculous request?

6 replies
Jinkies Posted 19 Feb 2016 , 4:38pm
post #2 of 7

Lot's of people sell cupcake/cake toppers.  I wouldn't take the cupcakes and decorate them but I would sell separate toppers and the client can put them on.

Choles_Creations Posted 19 Feb 2016 , 4:48pm
post #3 of 7

I get that people sell toppers.  But they want me to make the icing and decorate them.  They also live a half hour away.  Any suggestions on how to price fondant stars?  I myself have never sold anything separate.  I only do cakes on the side and work full time.  So for me to make a batch of fondant just to make tiny stars doesn't really seem very time/cost efficient.  

costumeczar Posted 19 Feb 2016 , 4:55pm
post #4 of 7

Tell them it's a health department violation to have food from an outside source in your kitchen ;) Or just say no.

-K8memphis Posted 19 Feb 2016 , 5:24pm
post #5 of 7

just say it's all the same price stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes.png

Jinkies Posted 19 Feb 2016 , 5:27pm
post #6 of 7

Yeah, I wouldn't frost someone else's cupcakes, good grief!  And little stars certainly aren't worth the trouble.  If they were elaborate cupcake toppers, I would offer them separately and they can apply them to whatever they want.

But, from what you're saying, be like Nancy Reagan, and just say no! 

RocioMass Posted 19 Feb 2016 , 7:59pm
post #7 of 7

Did she gave you a deposit? I would say No to decorating her cupcakes, but I would make the amount of cupcakes that the deposit  covers... 

Quote by @%username% on %date%