Just Starting And Need Help!

Business By cupcakesbykarla7 Updated 18 Feb 2016 , 9:03pm by cupcakesbykarla7

cupcakesbykarla7 Posted 18 Feb 2016 , 4:58pm
post #1 of 6

Hello everyone, I just started my cupcakes and cake pops business this year. I contacted the town where I live (West New York, New Jersey) and they told me I can't operate my business from home. In other words, I can't bake goods and sale them to the public. My second thought was to rent a Commercial kitchen and bake my cupcakes  there and then sale them. (by the way I just sent an email to the town asking if that was an option.) I have a FB page and Twitter promoting my business but I don't know what to do at this point and renting a location right now is not an option, since I'm just starting out.

Do you have any suggestions and/or advise. I would really appreciate it.

5 replies
Snowflakebunny23 Posted 18 Feb 2016 , 5:49pm
post #2 of 6

I'm in the UK so can't comment with much experience but from what I have read from this and other posts/articles, if your state doesn't have cottage food laws then you can't bake or trade from your home, end of.  You effectively have no legitimate business.  Sorry, that isn't meant to sound harsh.  If I were you, I would pull your business pages immediately because if you are 'caught' trading from your home when you shouldn't be, it may harm your business in the long term if and when you do make the business leap and rent a commercial space (if that is an acceptable option).  I know a lot of US cakers spend a LOT of money in converting parts of their house/garage/building new buildings to comply with their local laws.  It takes a lot more of an investments there to set up a cake business.  That's just the way it is.  We have it a lot easier with national cottage food laws but you can still be in serious trouble if you are selling something without being registered with your council.  Good luck x

Jinkies Posted 18 Feb 2016 , 6:21pm
post #3 of 6

I agree, you need to pull your pages and work on the legalities first.  Your business will never work anyway, if you don't  have all your ducks in a row.  You are putting yourself and your family in a bad place by operating illegally.

Start over from scratch, the right way. Good luck to ya!

cupcakesbykarla7 Posted 18 Feb 2016 , 7:05pm
post #4 of 6

Hello Ladies,

Thanks so much for your comments!

I really have not started even selling, juts making cupcakes here and there for my kids school parties and family gtherings. As of right now, I don't have a serious client, since I'm still looking to see what Im going to do. So in the mean time I created my FB page to see what the outcome would be. So I thought, if I have a client, I would use a Commercial kitchen to bake my goods. Which by the way, the lady from the town told me I can do, as long as I bake outside my home.  I will register my business and are waiting for the town to tell me if I will need a permit or anything else to start.

Thank you,

Jinkies Posted 18 Feb 2016 , 8:45pm
post #5 of 6

Glad, you got some good info.  I hope it works out for you :)

cupcakesbykarla7 Posted 18 Feb 2016 , 9:03pm
post #6 of 6

Thank you Jinkies. I'm glad I found this website!

Quote by @%username% on %date%