Stencil On Swiss Meringue Buttercream

Decorating By Nana52 Updated 20 Feb 2016 , 11:50am by -K8memphis

Nana52 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nana52 Posted 17 Feb 2016 , 11:31am
post #1 of 12

I love the taste of Swiss Meringue Buttercream and use Gretchen's recipe.  I also love the look of damask stencils on a cake.  Can one successfully stencil with Swiss Meringue on a cake iced with Swiss Meringue?  Should I refrigerate the iced cake (or maybe freeze it) prior to attempting to stencil?

11 replies
kentlybp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kentlybp Posted 18 Feb 2016 , 1:30am
post #2 of 12

Hey there, 

I actually posted something a couple of weeks ago and have the same question. I haven't tried it yet, but one of the people who posted a reply to me said that it is possible so long as the frosting is very cold. I would say freeze it well and go from there. Maybe alternate layers? Decorate one, put it back in the freezer while you work on other layers, rotate accordingly... 

If you give it a try, I would really like to hear how it comes out. I'm anxious to try it myself but my stencil hasn't arrived yet. 

Nana52 Posted 18 Feb 2016 , 9:49am
post #3 of 12

Thanks, kentylbp.  I think I will try it on the top of a small test cake.  I'll let you know how it turns out.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 18 Feb 2016 , 12:55pm
post #4 of 12

You can, but that's right that the cake has to be really cold so that the icing doesn't come off. You need to work fast because meringue buttercreams will warm up and the stencil pressed against the icing can ruin the surface.

veghed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veghed Posted 18 Feb 2016 , 3:43pm
post #5 of 12

@costumeczar ‍ Is there an issue with condensation ruining the stenciled image when the cake comes to room temp?

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 18 Feb 2016 , 10:45pm
post #6 of 12

There could be if you're stencilling with food coloring, but if you use icing it should be fine.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 18 Feb 2016 , 11:01pm
post #7 of 12

i've not done damask on smbc but if i did i think i'd first try freezing the stencil and the cake so they start out the same temp maybe -- and i would use the stencil in small sections -- 

but no really what i would do is make some kick ass american buttercream that is not cloyingly sweet let it crust and slap the stencil on that -- i ain't going nutso over stenciling non crusting buttercream -- it'd be a very short trip --

i have hovered stencils over smbc that i sprayed with my airbrush --

i wish you the best but wow one wrong move and ouch -- i'd be surprised if it could be done with much repetition -- but go ahead and surprise me

-K8memphis Posted 18 Feb 2016 , 11:10pm
post #8 of 12

y'know this would be a time when a scraped off naked cake would work for me -- then put the damask on top of that -- the possibility of the cake icing getting pulled up when you remove the stencil  could be disguised by the quirkiness of the scraped off naked cake surface ... probably -- at least a lot better than smoothy smooth icing -- don't you think

Nana52 Posted 19 Feb 2016 , 10:52am
post #9 of 12

K8memphis - Going to try today on a small test cake that I'm planning for my Grandson.  He wants a "camping" cake.  Going to make a "fire" on the top with Pirouette Rolled Cookies as logs and shards of candy "glass" for flames.  The icing will be dark chocolate SMBC with stenciled light green trees on the sides.  The stencil is a single tree instead of a wrap-around, so I'm hopeful.  You are probably right about a full wrap around damask.  And if it doesn't work, I'll decorate with fondant trees.   But it is fun to try.

-K8memphis Posted 19 Feb 2016 , 11:12am
post #10 of 12

nana -- i got my pom poms out and i'm rooting for yah cheering you on :)

so thinking this through -- i would...  ugh oh i'm getting aggravated with my imaginary results just thinking it through let's just go back to the first sentence >big grin<

can't wait -- go nana

Nana52 Posted 20 Feb 2016 , 10:22am
post #11 of 12

@K8memphis, thanks for the cheers.  I DID IT!  Had a smallish stencil - a tree.  Froze the cake iced in SMBC for about 10 minutes between each stencil application.  Since this cake was just for family it was a great time to test and I'm happy to say it worked very well.  YAY!

-K8memphis Posted 20 Feb 2016 , 11:50am
post #12 of 12

job well done -- happy for you

tada.png

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%