Baking Times/cups/pan Sizes

Baking By dcallar Updated 18 Feb 2016 , 11:53am by -K8memphis

dcallar Posted 16 Feb 2016 , 6:40am
post #1 of 13

I'm so frustrated I'm going to cry. I'm supposed to be making a wedding cake for my son. 12, 10, 8 and 6 in cake sizes.  I've tried different recipes to find a good one so I can do a practice stack etc.  So many recipes out there. Some give me the temp but not the time to cook.  I see all these photos of cakes that come out so pretty.  I've tried 6 different recipes and switched each to try the different pans and heck, the time is a crap shoot.  I appreciated all the blogs etc but no one lists all the information someone needs.  Let's see, one sank in the middle. One looked awesome and was level but not done in the middle. One broke apart coming out of the pan. One was crispy on the sides and then raw in the middle. I use the baking strips and I use the flower nail in the 10 and 12 inch ones.  You can't even imagine how much money I've poured into this "practice".  My husband thinks I should just have a local baker do it.  Trust me I'm not someone just stepping into this. I got away from cakes *for good reason* and switched to cupcakes.  I do a lot of cake art but clearly not the cakes.

12 replies
julia1812 Posted 16 Feb 2016 , 7:16am
post #2 of 13

Sorry that happened to you!

Have a look at this chart, maybe it will help you...

-K8memphis Posted 16 Feb 2016 , 10:13am
post #3 of 13

no one can give you the time to bake because it is dependent on so many variables including the weather and how your particular oven bakes, the size of the pan how much batter you have in there --

i can help you if you fill me in but i am only familiar with american products, measurements etc.

what flavor cake do you want -- let's nail down a recipe -- does it have to be scratch or are you open to using the best formula for the job?

what kind of decor

inside or outside reception

what kind of weather will it be --

where are you located

what day of the week, time of day is the reception

that should get us started

dcallar Posted 16 Feb 2016 , 10:49pm
post #4 of 13

The just wants buttercream ....also buttercream for the filling.

It needs to feed 80+. I'd like to keep it to 12 in, 10 in and 8 in, but I have a feeling a 6 in  is the picture.  One of the middle tiers has to be chocolate.

Located in Olympia, WA. It's in May and it's indoors.

I'm in the process of making teal plumeria that she wants to cascade down the side in gumpaste. You can imagine how time consuming that is but I do about 30 each weekend. It's so very simple.

I'm not set on any recipe. That seems to be my problem. I wanted to try a dry run. That means baking, freezing, thawing, icing and stacking.  Oh my. I wanted to try several recipes to see which tasted better but lets be honest to see how they baked.  You can see by my post that I seem to have tried many.  

Thank you for take the time.

And thank you for the chart.

-K8memphis Posted 17 Feb 2016 , 12:52am
post #5 of 13

i'd recommend going with a 12x9x6 round you can get all your servings out of the bottom two tiers--

also notice the cups of batter per pan and approximate baking times on julia's chart -- stick to that and all should go better --

i use wasc for white cake but i use self rising flour -- i think i saw that you have used this before

-K8memphis Posted 17 Feb 2016 , 1:05am
post #6 of 13

and i use the Hershey's perfectly perfect choco cake recipe -- just a great choco cake -- very easy to mix -- super reliable 

and fwiw you are overwhelming your own self with this project i recognize the signs because i've done it -- so your husband's idea is not a bad one although i also get why you want to do it yourself --

i think once you get your recipes decided on you'll be ok-- maybe not your blood pressure but it will go right back down after the festivities :)

there's no groom's cake is there?

dcallar Posted 17 Feb 2016 , 2:06am
post #7 of 13

Oh heck no on the grooms cake.  What recipe do you use for your wasc cake?  

I can see it both ways about doing it and I'm glad you understand that.  I've looked at cakes around here and honestly, since I'm a perfectionist, the massive amount of time it takes me, mine look better....smoother. :)

Thanks again, I'll have to get a 9 in pan.

nbrockman Posted 17 Feb 2016 , 5:23am
post #8 of 13

I highly suggest the *original* WASC recipe (you can search the name to find recipe). It is very versatile and can be made to any flavour! It's almost a no fail recipe. I just finished baking a square white (12/9/6) and a chocolate (12/8/6) yesterday.  For the chocolate all I did was swap the water for milk and the flour I substituted 1/3c for cocoa. Turned out yummy. I baked them at 350, and I am in Canada where it is -15c. When I bake, I lightly spray the pan, line the bottom with parchment paper and spray that lightly for easy release out of the pan, use the baking bands, a nail for 10" and 12", and when I first starting baking with new pans or a new recipe I kept a very close eye on the oven and I jot down the minutes that I add to the timer for the overall time it takes me to bake that certain recipe with that size pan. Remember too, the pans shouldn't be no more than 2/3 full, some of my larger even half full is lots--the fuller the pan, the more complications--the cook time will be longer therefore that may be causing your darker cakers and crusty edges. If you need any more advice, you have come to the right place! Everyone is friendly to help, good luck!

-K8memphis Posted 17 Feb 2016 , 12:01pm
post #9 of 13

my wasc well i guess mine is really wvsc but anyhow:

18 oz cake mix*

1 cup self rising flour

1 cup sugar

1 1/3 water

1 cup sour cream

3 egg whites plus 1 whole egg

couple tablespoons oil

Vanilla (or almond)

*I use Duncan Hines white cm and i use 1 box plus 1/5 of a box

this makes 8 cups batter

whisk the powdered ingredients then add in the wet ones -- mix to combine -- scrape the bowl -- then mix on about speed 4 or 5 for two full minutes -- i get the feeling some peeps don't mix enough, not you just tossing that in for good measure -- i bake at 350 because that's the temp the ingredients are calibrated for then near the end of the bake if needed i'll turn the temp down and quickly loosely tent a sheet of aluminum foil over it and after it comes out of the oven leave it on, tighten it up a bit to trap the heat for about ten minutes -- that helps me to get it as close to just done as possible and avoid over baking -- 

-K8memphis Posted 17 Feb 2016 , 12:32pm
post #10 of 13

i have an important thought for you to ponder -- how smooth the icing is at your son's wedding is the least reason possible to over wrought your husband and yourself and whosoever else it spills over onto on what is supposed to be a day of love sweetness and the celebration of the birth of a family --

now i will grant you that there almost always are issues that develop over any wedding -- it's a place where two seas meet and it can be both rock-the-boat upsetting and  strikingly beautiful but as gently as i can type this -- satisfying your ego in this event is already fraught with problems that will likely build as the date grows nearer -- it's not about you is it and that's the whole point of a son getting married --

with that said i still will be here for you if you decide to continue -- 'massive amount of time' for a 3 tier -- weigh the all the personal/family costs as carefully as you smooth your icing --

another option -- make a smaller cake for the rehearsal dinner buy the wedding cake and let calgon take you away not cake overload -- or just let the whole thing go and buy a cake -- easy peasiest -- 

best of the best to you

dcallar Posted 18 Feb 2016 , 5:47am
post #11 of 13

Thank You!! After reading this I can honestly say that it's the first time in a long time that I feel good.  Yep, I called some bakeries today and they would gladly use the gum paste flowers that I made.  I really want the experience in doing these cakes, but I can do it on my time with no rush or stress of something going wrong. I want to enjoy my son's wedding. Thank You!  Of course I do need to discuss this with the bride but I'm sure that won't be a problem. Plus, I don't have the freezer/refrigerator storage for it.  You made so much sense and I wish someone here would have said it this way. My husband and family also thank you.

I am so grateful for all this and I'll keep this nearby when I have questions or need help in the future. This is an amazing hobby, just that...a hobby with no stress.  I think this weekend I'll make a cake from this recipe and frost it because I can!  Or maybe just a couple dozen cupcakes.

Again, thank you so much for your time! 

dcallar Posted 18 Feb 2016 , 5:48am
post #12 of 13

And by the name is Debbie

-K8memphis Posted 18 Feb 2016 , 11:53am
post #13 of 13

i'm really glad you are feeling so much better -- now you can devote your time to the cross winds of family/friend wedding issues, errant flower girls and other such inescapable crises hahaha

best of the best to you debbie hope the wedding is as peaceful as it is beautiful-- (honestly i'm just relieved you're not mad at me :) 

mazel tov to bride and groom et al -- she's getting a sweet mom-in-law

Quote by @%username% on %date%