Fondant Too Soft After Coloring!

Decorating By daniellesteere Updated 23 Feb 2016 , 8:35am by JustVcakes

daniellesteere Posted 15 Feb 2016 , 8:24pm
post #1 of 9

Hello, i seem to keep having the same issue, when i need to color fondant a color that takes alot of color to achieve meaning i have to also work it alot longer, the end result is way to soft. I even started making it several days in advance so that i would have time to let it set up and it doesnt help. 

I do use vegetable shortening when coloring to keep it from sticking, which im sure is what is making it soft, I am just not sure what i should use to fix that. 

Should i add corn start or food coloring or tylose powder?

Please help! 

8 replies
maybenot Posted 15 Feb 2016 , 9:16pm
post #2 of 9

I would knead in a very small amount of tylose--a scant 1/4th tsp./lb.--and then let it rest for 24hrs., reassess.  Shortening actually dries out fondant, but some colors have glycerine in them and that makes fondant softer.

daniellesteere Posted 15 Feb 2016 , 9:19pm
post #3 of 9

Ok so it is most likely the coloring itself that is making my fondant soft? 

Its the biggest issue when im coloring fondant to cover a cake, its so soft that it tears while im covering 

I will have to try adding a little bit of tylose after creating a color i have to use alot of Gel for. This time i needed a deep bright red so it took alot of working and alot of gel color to achieve. 

maybenot Posted 15 Feb 2016 , 10:01pm
post #4 of 9

Are you making your own fondant?  Is it very soft to begin with?  If so, adding tylose to get it to the point you like would always be a good idea.  And, once you add color, it's likely a necessity.

If it's premade fondant, the gums vary and some are soft to start with [I find FondX and the new Wilton to be that way], and I add tylose to them.  Others are "tighter" and take color OK without adding gums to them.

For deep colors like black & red, I buy premade.  I find that it saves time, money, & frustration.

Frank68 Posted 15 Feb 2016 , 11:31pm
post #5 of 9

If I need a deep color, I save myself the hassle and purchase it pre-made (deep red, black, etc). For most colors I use Wilton fondant and it's fine. I do add some shortening but in small amounts to make sure things don't get too soft. 

maybenot Posted 16 Feb 2016 , 4:48am
post #6 of 9

Shortening is a blessing and a curse.  I roll out on it--a smear on food safe vinyl [The Mat by Sweetwise], but I never add it into the fondant.  It actually can change the balance in the fondant and too much will cause it to crack and be dry--go figure.  It stops the fondant from holding together properly once you get a certain amount of it in the product.

-K8memphis Posted 16 Feb 2016 , 10:21am
post #7 of 9

one other particle of information is that i let my fondant air dry a little and knead it in -- and repeat as necessary -- especially for large deeply colored amounts that will be cake coverings -- for modeling i add copious amounts of cornstarch

daniellesteere Posted 16 Feb 2016 , 1:45pm
post #8 of 9

Yea i typically use Wilton fondant, and the only time i use shortening is when im coloring because it keeps it from sticking to my hands. When rolling it out i do have a Mat from sweetwise that i love. I might just try and buy the black and red from now on, they are the 2 that end up the softest. 

I will try adding some tylose next time and letting it set up and see if that helps! 

JustVcakes Posted 23 Feb 2016 , 8:35am
post #9 of 9

For Red & Black, I premade, but for other colors, I take about 3/4 of the white fondant, color it with a lot of coloring all at once.  Use shortening for help.  Once you get the color you want, add the 1/4 white piece and mix that in.  It helps with alleviating the softness, but keeps the color.

Quote by @%username% on %date%