Handling Large Layers Of Cake, Help Please

Baking By Juli2527 Updated 14 Feb 2016 , 7:35pm by -K8memphis

Juli2527 Posted 14 Feb 2016 , 4:02am
post #1 of 8

Hi i have my very first large cake a 16 round one, i am so nervous about flipping it from the pan, can you please give me any tips, i am afraid i may break the cake! How do you flip the cake from the pan to the counter to level it? And then how do you wrap it in plastic, and how do you stack it, oh my God i am lost and so nervous! Thanks in advance for your help!

7 replies
leah_s Posted 14 Feb 2016 , 4:18am
post #2 of 8

you use either a rimless cookie sheet or a large cardboard round.  Place either on the cake and flip both together.  No mystery.

kakeladi Posted 14 Feb 2016 , 5:53am
post #3 of 8

Yep, what she ^^^ said.  Place a cookie sheet or cooling rack on the pan while the cake is still in it and turn the two over together, then remove the pan :)

MimiFix Posted 14 Feb 2016 , 12:13pm
post #4 of 8

It's easier if the cake is cold. 

-K8memphis Posted 14 Feb 2016 , 2:28pm
post #5 of 8

flipping minutiae -- hahahaha there's a couple ways to interpret that  :)

before you start -- make sure the baked cake is able to slide from edge to edge  (intact hopefully) in the pan -- to prepare my pan for baking -- i use parchment on the bottom no grease or anything on the sides so the cake climbs the sides well during the bake -- so run a knife around the edges to release it then holding the pan at an angle enough to let gravity take over to facilitate a slide when you pound a bit on the edge of the pan or pound it on the counter -- make the cake slide well back & forth several directions so you know it's not stuck -- see that there's a gap appearing between cake and pan all the way around -- good --

one more thing -- let the large cakes cool completely like mimi said-- if it doesn't slide in the pan after releasing the edges with a knife -- twirl it on a hot burner and heat it for a count of five or ten or so this melts the grease and will make it slide -- repeat the heating/twirling if necessary -

i mostly always flipped it twice -- because if it domed as it bakes and most cakes do  and it stays upside down after de-panning -- it has a greater chance of cracking but also because  the parchment in the bottom of the pan kind of helps hold things together during the flipathon and afterward -- good to have it on the bottom -- 

so i just made sure i had two* boards/racks ready to flip onto -- racks are nice even if they are smaller than the cake -- using a board alone for a big whonking cake can be iffy -- depending on the weight and the quality of the board it can bend/crack -- metal won't bend right -- make sure the feet are pointing away from the cake --

for the most secure flip -- cover the top of the cake pan with plastic wrap just loosely -- put a board on top of that then a rack -- the cardboard can bend but the rack will prevent that - a masonite board is nice but it's so dang heavy -- so get a good grip on 'the stack' so it doesn't slip or fly apart and give it a good secure confident flip over -- remove the pan that's already been loosened so you know it'll come off freely and it's all intact -- don't remove the baked on parchment -- grab/set your next board and rack and flip it back over upright the way it baked --

if you only have one rack you can slide it out from under the first flip and re-use it -- the plastic wrap you had placed will keep the top of the cake from sticking and making a mess and it will peel off handily leaving it a nice smooth top ànd/or leave it on there as it's the start of getting baby all wrapped up for it's nap --

your bottom board (drum) can moonlight as a flipping board if you cover it with plastic wrap -- just want it to be the same size or a bit bigger than the cake -- or you can use an upside down cake pan just gotta get a real good grip on it but flatter items are better -- or upside down cookie sheet even if it's too small because your cardboard circle can handle the edges and the metal pan/rack keeps it from bending in the middle when held securely -- make sure you hold your stack of stuff tightly/securely as you quickly confidently flip it all over -- big cakes are heavy so muscle through --

this might be a little repetitious but i' m not gonna go edit it into a tidy bundle right now -- just wanted to give you some solid flippin' guidelines hahahaha best to you 

-K8memphis Posted 14 Feb 2016 , 3:44pm
post #6 of 8

the plastic loosely placed on top also helps hold the cake in place from cracking -- kwim

Juli2527 Posted 14 Feb 2016 , 5:40pm
post #7 of 8

K8memphis, thank you so much for your time to explain me with such detail! I really appeciate it, You helped me a lot! God bless you.

-K8memphis Posted 14 Feb 2016 , 7:35pm
post #8 of 8

you're very welcome --

so how you gonna handle placing the different layers to build a tier -- this is where it can get a little messy with crumbs all over  >shudder< 

if you don't have a large flat cookie sheet -- use a same size cardboard cake circle to place the next cake layer on -- so you've got layer one placed on the board and simple syrup splash applied filling applied now just skootch your next layer off the cardboard circle so it adheres to the icing and gets lined up with the layer beneath there and in one motion pull the cardboard circle away and lightly let the layer come off -- quickly align it up -- and voila --

would love to see pictures but best to you and thank you

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%