Buttercream Issues!

Baking By crista29 Updated 14 Feb 2016 , 9:43pm by Bakrwomyn

crista29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crista29 Posted 14 Feb 2016 , 1:13am
post #1 of 6

Hello everyone, 

i have been making cakes for a lot

of people recently and I keep trying new buttercreams.

I have not been happy with many of them because they either have to much buttery or shortening taste to it. But the consistency have been coming out perfect! I'm at a loss of what to do! I'm thinking about turning to a cake supply store buttercream. Anyone thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated! 

5 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 14 Feb 2016 , 6:11am
post #2 of 6

Do try this recipe.  http://www.cakecentral.com/recipe/22469/2-icing   Be sure to read through the whole post, including the replies,  for helpful information.

Ozabby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ozabby Posted 14 Feb 2016 , 9:44am
post #3 of 6

Have you tried going away from American buttercream? They are a bit more work but Italian French and Swiss buttercream all have egg so they avoid that heavy butter / shortening taste.

crista29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crista29 Posted 14 Feb 2016 , 3:52pm
post #4 of 6

I have tried "duffs" buttercream which only has butter sugar and egg whites.. And I still think it tastes to buttery.. I added more vanilla to it didn't help.. 

Jinkies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jinkies Posted 14 Feb 2016 , 4:01pm
post #5 of 6

You'd probably like Gretchen's Bakery SMBC. Her recipe also adds powdered sugar and a small portion of shortening with the butter.  You can adjust it to your taste, more or less of butter/shortening.  It satisfies the people who don't like too much butter taste and the people who don't like it too sugary taste.

You can also add pretty much anything (extracts, puree's, etc.) to change the flavor.  

Pretty much, any buttercream can be adjusted as far as the amount of shortening or butter.  You can do all of one or half and half or any percentage you want.  You don't have to stick to the quantities of the recipe author.  If it's too buttery- sub some of the butter for shortening, etc etc.

Bakrwomyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bakrwomyn Posted 14 Feb 2016 , 9:43pm
post #6 of 6

I think you can't go wrong with Swiss meringue buttercream. While I like Italian meringue buttercream, I don't have the patience for the sugar to cook at the soft ball stage (235 degrees).It's easier to put heat the egg whites and sugar over a bain marie to 140 degrees (or until the sugar dissolves and and the whites are hot). This is my recipe:

6 large egg whites

1 1/2 cups of granulated sugar

1/4 teaspoon kosher salt

2 teaspoons vanilla extract + 1/2 teaspoon of almond extract

1#unsalted  butter (softened but slightly firm)

I personally think the almond extract adds an interesting depth of flavor. Not only is it delicious but it's so glossy as well when used for piping. [postimage id="2504" thumb="900"]

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%