Wasc Chocolate Cake Help!

Baking By nbrockman Updated 15 Feb 2016 , 2:38am by maybenot

nbrockman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nbrockman Posted 12 Feb 2016 , 10:11pm
post #1 of 7

I am going to be making a chocolate WASC wedding cake using Duncan Hines Devils chocolate---my first question is do I replace any flour with cocoa? I have read a few different forums saying do 1/3 cup cocoa and 2/3c flour, then read that cocoa will dry the cake out. What does everyone else do? I don't want it to be a flop (I love the white WASC cake!) and I will be replacing the water with milk.

Also, for chocolate buttercream (ABC), how much melted bakers chocolate do you add to one batch of buttercream?

thank you! grinning.png

6 replies
amartin1900 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amartin1900 Posted 12 Feb 2016 , 11:31pm
post #2 of 7

What is wasc?

A good choc boxed mix with a1/4 cup cocoa, box of herseys dark choc pudding,

1 1/3 cup water or milk

1/4 oil

I use this all the time.  

I use the chocolate bc from herseys cocoa powder box. Then mix with 1/4 vanilla bc for smoothness. 

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 13 Feb 2016 , 3:59am
post #3 of 7

When using DH mixes for chocolate WASC, I don't add any cocoa.  I use chocolate instant pudding [1 box per mix used] and if the mix I'm using is only 15.25 ounces, I add 3 extra ounces of dry cake mix for every box being used [because the original WASC recipes are based on the old, 18.25 oz. mixes].  I use chocolate extract, too.  I also use an Ateco heating core nail in every pan.  I get lovely chocolate cakes this way.

nbrockman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nbrockman Posted 13 Feb 2016 , 8:09pm
post #4 of 7

Thanks for the replies :) I am still looking for advice on chocolate buttercream! I bought bakers chocolate squares, but unsure how how many to melt and add.

Maybenot: What size chocolate pudding box? And the instant? You just add it additionally to the other ingredients, right? Sorry for all the questions. I live in Canada, and our DH cake mixes (devils chocolate and white anyways) are 515g boxes which are 18.2oz. I have some Wilton nails that i plan to use for the larger base (12") when i bake it tomorrow.

amartin1900: We dont have Hersheys boxed cake mixes here in Canada, but i have heard awesome reviews from people that have used them.

maybenot Posted 14 Feb 2016 , 12:45am
post #5 of 7

I use one small box of dry instant pudding mix [not sugar free, either].  Yes, the flower nails will work fine.

For the chocolate recipe, I don't use melted baker's chocolate, but maybe you can use this recipe as a guideline:

http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/chocolate-buttercream-frosting/c530f4f8-2182-4b89-8938-34a25ff8134a

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 14 Feb 2016 , 6:09am
post #6 of 7

I do NOT recommend adding pudding to my *original* WASC  recipe.   I don't add any extra choco in any form to my choco cakes.  Usually I used a dark choco mix from Betty Crocker for the cake.  But if you really want to make it a deeper choco than the mix, yes add UNstweetened cocoa powder.  It will NOT dry out the cake.  This is such a moist cake to begin with the extra cocoa won't hurt it at all.   If you have taken the time to read all of the post including the replies you will see where I have mentioned using the new, smaller box mixes w/o adding additional mix and still have perfect results.

As for a choco b'cream I highly recommend:  http://www.cakecentral.com/recipe/22469/2-icing             For choco I use about 1/2 cup UNsweetened cocoa powder mixed with about 1/4 cup HOT water into a thick 'mud' then add that to the batch of icing.  Using melted choco can cause problems mixing.  

maybenot Posted 15 Feb 2016 , 2:38am
post #7 of 7

The reason that I add the instant pudding to the Duncan Hines mixes is because they don't have "pudding in the mix"--and I do find that it makes a difference, compared [especially] with Betty Crocker.

I didn't mention it previously, but there is an equivalent to making melted chocolate on the can of Hershey's cocoa [I like the very dark special] where you mix it with oil or veg. shortening.  That's how I make an American BC chocolate.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%