Adding Paste Bits To A Plastic Model And 'painting' Both Plastic And Paste

Decorating By HelensCake Updated 12 Feb 2016 , 5:44pm by cakestomuch

HelensCake Posted 12 Feb 2016 , 5:19pm
post #1 of 2

As per title, does anyone know if there's a way I can do this please -  add paste bits to a plastic model and paint both the plastic and the paste parts with the same stuff?

I'm running short on time and have found a plastic model that is very similar to the one I was planning on creating out of paste. However bits of it are the wrong colour and it also needs a few extra bits  to be attached.  Ideally I'd prefer to make the extra pieces out of paste rather than a modelling clay as I'm used to working with paste.

Piping gel seems to do a reasonable job of sticking the paste to the plastic, but I haven't a clue what to use to paint the whole thing!  Food gel paste just washes off plastic but the metallic paints don't , so I was wondering if there was something I could use to paint the altered model (the plastic plus the extra paste bits).  I need to be able to paint it black (or very, very dark grey) ideally with a faint sheen/shimmer/pearl effect and red.

I wondered if acrylic paints can be used on paste, as I assume they would cover the plastic?

Or do you think I should just use some form of modelling clay to make the bits I'm attaching to the plastic figure?

By the way, it won't be sitting directly in contact with the cake so toxicity isn't an issue unless paint starts flaking off etc (my fear about using a non-edible paint!)

Thanks in advance for any input  - really appreciate it.

Helen

1 reply
cakestomuch Posted 12 Feb 2016 , 5:44pm
post #2 of 2

What about covering the whole model with a thin layer of paste and add any additional paste pieces that are needed. Then everything will be paste and much easier to paint.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%