They Dropped The Wedding Cake

Business By margalitp Updated 16 Feb 2016 , 4:28pm by jenmat

margalitp Posted 12 Feb 2016 , 9:56am
post #1 of 12

Last night I attended a wedding where I made the cake it was an 8"double barrel and 6" semi naked cake with fresh flowers.  For some reason the party planner asked me to set up the cake in the middle of the dance floor . I did as I was told though I had questioned her about it beforehand. 

As as the dancing was about I to start a couple of guests took it upon themselves to move the table with the cake on it out of the way of the dancing and so I look up from talking with s friend and literally watch my cake fall over just horrified . 

now this is obviously not my fault but I feel awful and I feel like this is one of those moments that can define you as a business and so I was thinking to do something to offersomething to make this whole catastrophe a little lighter on the bride. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I'm at a bit of a loss because I don't want it to look like I'm claiming responsibility :/

11 replies
sinfullyd Posted 12 Feb 2016 , 11:48am
post #2 of 12

I am sorry to hear this. It is every cake decorators nightmare to have a wedding cake fall/be dropped! And the fact that you watched it happen is just upsetting :-(

I really dont know what to suggest but to be honest it is NOT your fault and i think the bride/groom will completely understand that. These things happen unfortunately and im not sure they would ask for any compensation or replacement would they?

Jinkies Posted 12 Feb 2016 , 11:54am
post #3 of 12

Oh boy, that's just horrible, but I guarantee you, it'll be a funny story the bride and groom will tell for years to come.  I don't think you need to do anything, business wise.

I assume this couple are friends/family of yours since you were at the wedding.  Maybe  you could make them a little  6" gift cake, sometime in the future, as a nice gesture, for them to enjoy.  

You could tell them now, "Hey, don't worry, I'll make ya a little cake, so you can at least taste your wedding cake!",  I'm sure they would be appreciative.

costumeczar Posted 12 Feb 2016 , 12:59pm
post #4 of 12

There's absolutely nothing that you should do, this doesn't reflect on your business and it's not a business-defining moment. It reflects on the idiots who thought it was a good idea to move a cake table.

It's the same thing as someone buying a Ferrari and taking it out drag racing. If they wreck it the dealer isn't going to say that it's a defining moment for their business to offer a refund. Don't feel that it's your responsibility, it isn't.

costumeczar Posted 12 Feb 2016 , 1:01pm
post #5 of 12

The idea of offering to make a little cake is nice, though. I'd only do a teeny one, though, maybe a couple of cupcakes to represent the idiots who moved the table ;)

Snowflakebunny23 Posted 12 Feb 2016 , 1:22pm
post #6 of 12

I'm with costumeczar...it's not your fault and I certainly wouldn't feel like it was your fault if I was the bride.  I'd not say anything...it just brings up an opportunity for trouble there there is none.  A few surprise cupcakes or baby cake is a nice touch but you don't need to feel obliged at ALL.

People have no idea how heavy a wedding cake is and I have noticed that a LOT.  I made a 5-tier last summer - 6/8/10/12/14 and the 8 & 12" tiers were fruit.  Each layer alone was heavy and I dread to think hoe much the lot weighed (I stacked on site).  I would feel bad for the muppets who dropped it...bet they feel bad :-s

amartin1900 Posted 12 Feb 2016 , 1:32pm
post #7 of 12

My first thought is you told the planner this would happen.  That covered you as a professional.  SHE took responsility when she said I wasn't it on the dance floor anyway.  

If I were a bride I would be after her to cover the coat of her stupidity.  

Saying you sympathize with a tiny cake in thier flavor with brighten thier day. Be sure to not apologize as you did your job well. 

Pastrybaglady Posted 12 Feb 2016 , 4:21pm
post #8 of 12

Business defining... hmmm.  When a business goes out of their way to be kind and considerate that's good customer service so I think in that light it reflects on the kind of person you are and the couple will tell others what you did.  In that way you are defining the kind of business you want to be.  Be sure you make it clear that it is a gift so they are able to taste what they ordered, not an apology.

-K8memphis Posted 12 Feb 2016 , 4:45pm
post #9 of 12

i'm pretty sure i would not have set it up out there -- easy for me to say -- but that cake was especially top heavy 8" on the bottom and 12" tall if the tiers were standard size -- i might have put it out on the dance floor but i would have guaranteed that it would fall even just from the vibrations of dancing and i would have guaranteed it to fall if they moved the table --

which is why i guarantee the cake to the cake table -- done --

so that you questioned your instructions is good -- now if you want you can use this to politely refuse to comply or refuse to deliver next time in order to protect the bride's investment if something clearly wonky is being planned and this was a clear cut recipe for disaster -- no i woulda never set it up out there --

but in the coupla times i did set up against my better judgement -- i advised that the cake would not survive and that my responsibility ended when i set it on the table -- 

so while no apology is in order you can use this to reinforce your commitment/standards going forward

best to you

MRSKyle Posted 12 Feb 2016 , 5:34pm
post #10 of 12

Our planner wanted our cake on the dance floor and I had to tell her 3 times "no." It was perfect off to the side when we arrived, but what I found out later is that she had the cake decorator (who was unaware of what we wanted) set it up on the dance floor. My father and father-in-law moved it so we could do our dances! When the fathers arrived they told the planner and the kitchen staff that to had to be moved and they refused! 

Fortunately the cake was fine, but then I found out that they never served it! They only served the sheet cakes from the back!!! 

We had the entire 16" bottom layer in our hotel room (where the reception was) that night!

Planners want the cake part of the reception done in the beginning so it can be cut and served more quickly, but they need to be more attentive to the wishes of the bride and groom.

I'm sorry your cake fell over. I would have been so mad at the planner, but at least you tried to say something!

MimiFix Posted 12 Feb 2016 , 5:42pm
post #11 of 12

That stinks, I'm sorry it happened. I hope you now do nothing more than shrug and shake your head at the unfortunate situation.

The incident may just become a funny story. Or the people involved may resist taking blame. There's always a possibility that someone begins to say, "If the cake had been done properly, it wouldn't have fallen, even if the table was moved." This happened to one of my former students who was not at the wedding but received a call the next day, requesting a full refund. Unfortunately, her response to the damaged cake was used against her in small claims court. Even though all she had said was, "I'm sorry it happened." 

jenmat Posted 16 Feb 2016 , 4:28pm
post #12 of 12

Oh goodness! What did you do?! I would have run and hid! 

I think a cute very small cake as a gesture would be very sweet, since you "feel bad that the guests ruined the cake.", not the you feel bad that YOU ruined the cake. Very fine line. A surprise gesture, just an "I'm thinking of you guys" gesture would be kind as long as it isn't accompanied by ANY sort of apology that starts anyone thinking that it could have been your fault in ANY WAY. 

I have done cake on the dance floor several times with no issues. But the majority of couples serve their cake as dessert so the cake is cut prior to dinner and then whisked away before any dancing begins. By professional staff, not well meaning or tipsy friends...lol. Ugh. So sorry you had to witness it, but at least you can say "hey I was there, it was definitely NOT my fault!"

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%