Help To Make Naked Cake!! Doubts Regarding Structure And Crumb Coating

Decorating By pastrymaniac Updated 12 Feb 2016 , 1:30pm by pastrymaniac

pastrymaniac Posted 12 Feb 2016 , 2:10am
post #1 of 3

Hi all naked cakers out there :),

I need some help from you guys with a future fine crumb coated naked cake with some gold leave accents but I have 2 questions:

1. How do I  hide the board under the cake as best as possible with the buttercream scraping method? If I use a board smaller than the cake I won´t have a resting surface to support my scraper so I think the result won´t be so neat since I am always used to ice scraping around the board

2. What´s the best way to prevent crumbs from getting into my crumb coat since I need it "nice and pretty"? Partially freezing and dry brushing the cake before icing, what else?

All suggestions will be greatly appreciated since I am mostly used to fondant cakes.

I am looking for something that will look similar to the cake in this photo.

Thanks. cheers

2 replies
costumeczar Posted 12 Feb 2016 , 1:11pm
post #2 of 3

Don't worry about the cake boards too much, you can see them in that photo and it's not a disaster. Just cover them with icing, too, and they'll fill in for the most part.  Brush the sides of the cake off before you ice them, them stick them in the freezer if you're worried about crumbs, but those cakes are uneven and naturally have some bits and pieces of crumbs in the icing. Just remember that it's not a tragedy if there's a crumb stuck in the icing somewhere, that's what those cakes are supposed to look like. There will be smooth spots and rough spots naturally, it's an organic look.

pastrymaniac Posted 12 Feb 2016 , 1:30pm
post #3 of 3

Hi costumeczar, thanks so much for your reply and experienced opinion, just what I have been thinking... maybe these naked cakes are a bit  more difficult to cope with for the slightly more OCD of us ;) though I think this thin crumb coated style will certainly take longer to look this good than a lot of people might suppose, the older naked cake style was way easier I guess... but I much prefer this new version.

Best wishes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%