Freezing

Baking By grama_j Updated 12 Feb 2016 , 12:08am by -K8memphis

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 11 Feb 2016 , 7:45pm
post #1 of 4

Okay........ I ALWAYS freeze my cakes............... right now I have 5 1/2 sheet cakes in a freezer in the garage...... they are for a party on the 20th of this month......... I just went out there, and the freezer isn't working.......... they are about 1/2 frozen............. It is only 20 degrees outside, so I don't know where I stand here.......... do you think I can let them go, and they will be ok for a week , or will I have to do them all over again ? They will be filled.....

3 replies
MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 11 Feb 2016 , 9:15pm
post #2 of 4

If the outside temp will remain the same, can you leave the cakes outdoors? Put them in a large secure container, safe from animals. Or in a vehicle. Then get the freezer fixed or replaced. Sorry this happened to you.

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 11 Feb 2016 , 11:03pm
post #3 of 4

Thanks, Mimi.. ....... I was wondering  if it would change the taste or texture......... it would be like  REfreezing...........  I REALLY can't afford to redo them all...

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 12 Feb 2016 , 12:08am
post #4 of 4

question, how long might they have been out there half frozen? when was the last time you saw them frozen well -- could the freezer have been broken all along? that's what you need to determine/consider to figure the viability -- 

i surely understand the additional cost involved but i would not serve them to a client -- the parts that are half frozen are more or less refrigerated and drying out at a greater degree than the parts that were still frozen -- if it was just a day or two, no worries if you can get it back frozen -- if it it's been a week or more then the cake is probably too dry to survive --

cut one up and check -- if it's ok great then you only have to replace one -- or just remove a chunk all the way across and slide it back together kwim and glue it with icing later when you ice them -- 

what a bummer 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%