Whipped Icing

Baking By chocolatepearl Updated 13 Feb 2016 , 8:15pm by chocolatepearl

chocolatepearl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocolatepearl Posted 10 Feb 2016 , 9:12pm
post #1 of 12

Okay I have an order that wants cupcakes with whipped icing, like you would get at a grocery store bakery. When i google recipes for whipped icing, i keep getting results for whipped cream icing, which i am not sure if that is the same thing?

So question 1: Are those the same things?

2: Does anyone have a whipped icing recipe that they really like? Or know what the bakery's use?

3: Has anyone tried the wilton box whipped icing and is it good? (This would be a last resort, as i would really like to make homemade whipped icing)

Thanks for your help!!

11 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 11 Feb 2016 , 5:47am
post #2 of 12

Quote by @chocolatepearl on 8 hours ago

.....have an order that wants cupcakes with whipped icing, ...... google recipes for whipped icing, i keep getting results for whipped cream icing, 

1: Are those the same things?

2: Does anyone have a whipped icing recipe that they really like? Or know what the bakery's use?

3: Has anyone tried the wilton box whipped icing and is it good? (This would be a last resort, as i would really like to make homemade whipped icing)

1/) Yes it is the same thing.   Just stabilize the whipped cream w/a bit of powdered sugar and you're good to go.

Can't help with the rest of your ?s.

Amps.prkns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amps.prkns Posted 13 Feb 2016 , 12:05am
post #3 of 12

Most bakeries buy there frosting. I believe it's called "bettercream". It's basically cool whip, I believe it's stabilized with gelatin. I'm not sure if they sell dairy free cream for whipping in grocery stores but that would be my guess as what to use. you could just use whipped cream with gelatin. 

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 13 Feb 2016 , 5:57am
post #4 of 12

BUT the fake stuff is shelf stable and real whipped cream stuff needs refrigeration. Talk to your customer to clarify.

Sam's club sells the stuff in the bucket, so if you have a use for it, you can just buy it direct.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 13 Feb 2016 , 2:16pm
post #5 of 12

this is Bettercreme, a dairy free whipped icing that needs no refrigeration after whipping -- there's no gelatin in it that i can tell -- because Jewish people use this and they mostly avoid gelatin and milk to honor their dietary laws --

http://richsfoodservice.com/420/210/productdetail.htmlhtml

then this is the sam's club product but-r-creme

http://m.samsclub.com/ip/afwhite-sprnfill-icing-32lbs/prod3900070

this ^^^ is an American type butter cream icing

sam's club might sell the Rich's whipped product but i don't think so

-K8memphis Posted 13 Feb 2016 , 4:46pm
post #6 of 12

maybe sam's club does sell Rich's -- when you said 'bucket' i thought of the abc sam's sells but i guess you can get Rich's already whipped now? i've only gotten it in a carton or can as a liquid 

-K8memphis Posted 13 Feb 2016 , 4:50pm
post #7 of 12
-K8memphis Posted 13 Feb 2016 , 4:52pm
post #8 of 12

oh but this contains milk -- so confused

-K8memphis Posted 13 Feb 2016 , 4:56pm
post #9 of 12

omg -- the kind made with milk is 'buttrcreme' -- how many cleverly spelled variations of buttercream can one civilization endure hahaha

and the 'bettercreme' is non-dairy

so much for my little brain to store...

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 13 Feb 2016 , 6:02pm
post #10 of 12

My point to the OP was to clarify with the customer if she needed/wanted shelf stable (no refrigeration) cupcakes. And of course, if you use whipped cream, minimal sugar, you need to refrigerate them. 

Most icing is "whipped" in some manner, so the customer description of "whipped" is not helpful. An average customer has no idea what the icing is made of--- be it ABC, IMBC, or stabilized whipped cream. 

I tried that Wilton stuff, and wrote a post on it. I called it "whipped nothing". No flavor at all. Shaving cream? The white had a little vanilla flavor, but the chocolate had zero flavor.

-K8memphis Posted 13 Feb 2016 , 8:01pm
post #11 of 12

gotcha yes of course --

i thought i was making it clearer but i soon realized i got whipped in a dairy free milk infused fog of all the clever/different buttercream spellings & purposes --

but actually good to know fwiw -- when different products are requested

chocolatepearl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocolatepearl Posted 13 Feb 2016 , 8:15pm
post #12 of 12

Thanks everyone! I ended up using a recipe that is heavy whipping cream and powdered sugar. I used non flavored gelatin as a stabilizer. It turned out great! Thanks for everyone's help! 

@-K8memphis ‍ 

@johnson6ofus ‍ 

@Amps.prkns ‍ 

@kakeladi ‍ 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%