Will It Be Ok???? Freezer Burn?

Baking By MagicalMorselsMT Updated 10 Feb 2016 , 1:08am by maybenot

MagicalMorselsMT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MagicalMorselsMT Posted 9 Feb 2016 , 4:05pm
post #1 of 9

ok experts. I'm not sure if I ruined this cake or not. I was making a cutout type cake help experts. I'm not sure if I ruined this cake or not. I was making a cut out type cake I froze it once it was torted and filled then carved it then put a crumb coat of butter cream on and stuck it in the freezer with no wrapper on it or anything... then left it overnight(!!!) it's probably been in there 8 hours now. Will it be OK? Or should I just start over???

8 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 9 Feb 2016 , 5:08pm
post #2 of 9

it's ok -- but get it well wrapped asap

if it was my freezer and i had just filled it with my spaghetti sauce the cake might have a little italian flair to it hahaha but if there's nothing too frangrant in there you're fine --

next time if necessary you can let it set up for like an hour in there then wrap it like a mummy

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 9 Feb 2016 , 5:10pm
post #3 of 9

Mmmmmm...  I've never done that with just a crumb coat.  Is this a dedicated cake freezer?  Are there any funky smells that could imbed themselves into the cake?  Who is this cake for and for what event?  If it's a really big important thing I would just start over again.  If it's just an everyday dessert for family and friends I would go with it.

MagicalMorselsMT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MagicalMorselsMT Posted 9 Feb 2016 , 6:25pm
post #4 of 9

It is for a friend but she is buying it....  Not a dedicated freezer but no funky smells. I took it out bringing to room temperature and covering in fondant.  

@-K8memphis ‍ : do you mean set up at room temp or in freezer before wrapping? 

in the past I have froze uncovered (1/2 hour or so) then wrapped really well to freeze longer

@Pastrybaglady ‍ : would smell or flavor embedding be the only thing you are worried about?

-K8memphis Posted 9 Feb 2016 , 7:41pm
post #5 of 9

just so your icing doesn't all smudge off

-K8memphis Posted 9 Feb 2016 , 7:43pm
post #6 of 9

btw -- freezer burn is when something has been left in ther for a long time maybe not sealed well and the item has literally dried up in some spots from the dryness of the freezer -- more like 8 months than 8 hours though

Pastrybaglady Posted 9 Feb 2016 , 9:15pm
post #7 of 9

I would be concerned about weird flavor and dry cake if the crumb coat was not extremely thorough.

Pastrybaglady Posted 9 Feb 2016 , 9:15pm
post #8 of 9

I would be concerned about weird flavor and dry cake if the crumb coat was not extremely thorough.

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 10 Feb 2016 , 1:08am
post #9 of 9

For the recipes that I bake, I have developed a "freeze once, only" rule.  I either freeze the layers right after baking, or freeze the completed cake, but never both.  I don't like the texture of a cake that is frozen [solid] more than once. 

If the work process or components require the cake be very cold, I rely on short terms in a very cold refrigerator or stint in the freezer.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%