How Many To Bake For Big Home Show

Business By lonandleah Updated 9 Feb 2016 , 9:34pm by leah_s

lonandleah Posted 9 Feb 2016 , 6:09am
post #1 of 12

I booked a 10x10 booth at a fairly large 3 day home show....probably just over 5000 visitors. I only sell by the dozen as they are just slightly bigger than the minis- for $15 and have no idea how many to bake. I'm thinking 200 dozen??

Have any of you done a show like this and if so what kind of sales did you see.

Thank you for any advice

11 replies
Jedi Knight Posted 9 Feb 2016 , 6:40am
post #2 of 12

A dozen cupcakes for $15?

-K8memphis Posted 9 Feb 2016 , 1:57pm
post #3 of 12

i would devise an individual serving size for this -- when i'm trotting around a big event i don't want to carry around leftovers -- cupcakes are impulse food -- make it easy for them to indulge--

so you don't figure on many sales here out of 5,000 participants -- i don't know -- i'd say ramp it up -- doncha think?

lonandleah Posted 9 Feb 2016 , 3:00pm
post #4 of 12

too little or too much????

That's the going price where I live

lonandleah Posted 9 Feb 2016 , 3:06pm
post #5 of 12

Well I was just wondering more for the dozen packs what I should make. I will be making individual as well (probably 1,000 of them) That's why I'm asking because I really have no idea. I've only done a few farmer's markets where people have been happy to buy by the dozen.

They're not a true cupcake but that's the closest thing I can refer it to.....they're a lot heavier and I do give out samples

.eat.cake. Posted 9 Feb 2016 , 4:31pm
post #6 of 12

I'm in the UK so don't actually deal in $$ but from my few visits to the us using $$ I have a small idea of what that can buy and what the equivalent ££ are.

I would say you are seriously under charging at $15 for a dozen. With the greatest respect are you making any real money from these? 

I eat with my eyes and if they taste as good as they look I would happily pay $3 each. Maybe $30 for a dozen..

kakeladi Posted 9 Feb 2016 , 5:40pm
post #7 of 12

I sooooo agree w/.eat.cake. especially from the pic you posted!  As for how many dzs I suggest like 100.  Any chance y ou can make more after you see how it goes  the 1st day?  From the few home shows I have attended, food - especially something to take home is not what people will consider buying in lg quantities.  Instead it would be the singles you might need more of.  

lonandleah Posted 9 Feb 2016 , 6:42pm
post #8 of 12

Thank you....Cupcake stores charge that for their full size around here but I never thought I could get that for my minis.

Maybe I'll try $20 and see how that goes ;-)

They cost me about $4.50/dozen including packaging and labels

BeeBakes Posted 9 Feb 2016 , 6:43pm
post #9 of 12

its hard to tell the size from the pic, but you say they are just bigger than minis, so maybe $15/dozen isn't bad? -if they are closer to cupcake size then i too would say maybe you are undercharging.

instead of selling in dozens, have you thought about selling in half dozen or in a 4pk if you don't want to sell individual? like previously said i don't think people are going to want to walk around with all of it.

lonandleah Posted 9 Feb 2016 , 6:43pm
post #10 of 12

Well I'll definitely make more $$ off singles so I will plan for that. Thanks!

lonandleah Posted 9 Feb 2016 , 6:46pm
post #11 of 12

It's hard for me to find that size package in my size. I need 1.62 (1 5/8") bottom dia and usually ones in that size are too short to accomodate for icing. The dozen package I have is quite small

leah_s Posted 9 Feb 2016 , 9:34pm
post #12 of 12

I do a lot of events with my dessert food truck.  As a rule of thumb, 10% of attendees eat dessert.

Quote by @%username% on %date%