Korean Buttercream Recipe?

Decorating By HenrysHungry Updated 8 Jun 2018 , 4:00pm by Loyocakitchen

cottoninpillow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cottoninpillow Posted 4 Apr 2016 , 7:48am
post #31 of 349

Hi, i'm also looking for glossy korean buttercream and I think @ivymrspark ‍buttercream is just what i've been looking for.

Could you tell us how to make it? I would really like to try it. Thanks

tigermomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tigermomma Posted 5 Apr 2016 , 1:33pm
post #32 of 349

Hello ladies,

I recently met a professional cake decorator who took classes in Korea for floral piping. While she didn't give me the recipe (bummer) she did say that they use WHITE butter, which is only available in Korea. They don't export it, which makes it quite impossible to find overseas. The lack of the yellowish color is because of what they feed the cow (corn-fed I think) which results in that beautiful white color.

So unless we have that butter, it might prove to be quite a challenge to achieve that translucent look :) Shortening makes the icing also quite slippery, while it might work for piping, I've heard that the flowers have a tendency to slip out of position.

Anyway, hope this helps :)

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 5 Apr 2016 , 3:44pm
post #33 of 349

You can get butter without the food coloring in it, that's basically why it's yellow. Or make your own if yo're ambitious, but put some heavy whipping cream  in the mixer on high and walk away for ten minutes and you'll have butter.

Shamna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shamna Posted 9 Apr 2016 , 9:57pm
post #34 of 349

Hi i ve been looking for the so called glossy buttercream and the glossiest one for me so far has been a simple buttercream made of butter, icing sugar, vanilla and a few tbsp of whipping cream....

I tried the white bean paste todag and surprisingly i like the workability better and taste is quite likeable too (like sweet potatoes but sweeter like jam.)... no greasy mess, takes wilton gel colors beautifully, no problems with any melting in the piping bag.... not affected by heat.... crusts slightly on being exposed outside...

I will post pictures of both my tries..

Shamna Posted 9 Apr 2016 , 10:01pm
post #35 of 349

Basic buttercream[postimage id="3507" thumb="900"]

Shamna Posted 9 Apr 2016 , 10:08pm
post #36 of 349

[postimage id="3508" thumb="900"]white bean paste flowers....rolkem super gold on a few of the leaves....

SeriousCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SeriousCakes Posted 10 Apr 2016 , 2:59am
post #37 of 349

Here is the recipe of Korean woman on YouTube:

costumeczar Posted 10 Apr 2016 , 3:10am
post #38 of 349

That makes me want to try it, but it seems like way too much work when you can just make regular icing and pipe that.

SeriousCakes Posted 10 Apr 2016 , 3:24am
post #39 of 349

I thought that too, I wonder if it dries hard though because it's made out of beans?

Shamna Posted 10 Apr 2016 , 5:17am
post #40 of 349

Mine has been out overnight and yes it has crusted outside but can still be squished if you know what i mean..... i would make a large batch and freeze to use at a later date.... i like the workability better than buttercream....

costumeczar Posted 10 Apr 2016 , 1:00pm
post #41 of 349

I think I have a topic for my next youtube video ;) Experiment number 1857

SeriousCakes Posted 10 Apr 2016 , 4:10pm
post #42 of 349

Lol, maybe!!

JYMum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JYMum Posted 12 Apr 2016 , 2:38am
post #43 of 349

Hi,Im ivymrspark. This is my new ID. Sorry for the late reply. I just came back home from holiday. Yes,I can share the my recipe. I had never learned from any korean teachers. this is my own method. So be sure it's really the one you r looking for. I'm planning on taking some photos toexplain how to make the glossy buttercream. You can leave your email. I will send you once it's ready.

Shamna Posted 12 Apr 2016 , 9:09pm
post #44 of 349

I would love to know the recipe you use JYMum.... my email id is [email protected] :) thank you!

cottoninpillow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cottoninpillow Posted 13 Apr 2016 , 7:42am
post #45 of 349

Hi @JYMum, that would be great.. My email is [email protected]. Looking forward to your email.. Thanks

CuriousandCuriouser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CuriousandCuriouser Posted 13 Apr 2016 , 3:44pm
post #46 of 349

Hello @JYMum, I would love the recipe as well. Ive been following this post to see if it would help me to make the Translucent Frosting from Korea, I think yours would help me come soo close. Once I completely figure it out I plan to share it with everyone, instead of being like " Oh pay me for this.." I personally think that's selfish, sure it was your idea, but instead of being a pioneer for all those who will use it, you just shut down everyone else on a creative level for cash. Which i find silly. 

My email is [email protected]

Thanks ahead for being awesome.

hautesugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hautesugar Posted 13 Apr 2016 , 5:06pm
post #47 of 349

Hi Guys,

New to cakecentral. Have any of you tried making the bean paste flowers? If so, how did they come out?

Any buttercream ideas for making these flowers in warm climates. swiss and italian meringue buttercreams don't always work super well in the Caribbean(where I am- 32 degreesC all day)

I typically use ABC but I like the translucent look of the korean style buttercream flowers. 

tigermomma Posted 13 Apr 2016 , 10:04pm
post #48 of 349

Hi! My email is [email protected] I would love the recipe as well!!!

Mcroig Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mcroig Posted 13 Apr 2016 , 10:58pm
post #49 of 349

Hey! I would love the recipe as well! I've been trying diferentes ones and can't get the right translucent look.

Thanks, my email is [email protected]

costumeczar Posted 14 Apr 2016 , 6:56pm
post #50 of 349

I made some to test it out, here's the video. It pipes like mashed potato paste and firms up pretty quickly so that you can touch it and it doesn't lose its shape. It's weird and I wouldn't use it on a cake unless there was a compelling reason, but it works and it doesn't taste like much. 

OanhCao Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OanhCao Posted 16 Apr 2016 , 3:35pm
post #51 of 349

Hi @JYMum, I really want to know your recipe so please share if you can :) I really appreciate it :) My email is [email protected] 

Thank you very much!!

Evvon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evvon Posted 16 Apr 2016 , 3:53pm
post #52 of 349

Hi, I would love the recipe of the buttercream as well. Thanks! 

[email protected] is my email address. Looking forward! Thank u

tigermomma Posted 18 Apr 2016 , 12:02am
post #53 of 349

Hi @costumeczar ‍ I'm trying this out today. They actually use it primarily on rice cakes, not really on chiffons or sweet cakes. So rice cake + bean paste doesn't come out too weird...I think. hehe. I'm Asian (not Korean though) and I'm used to eating different kinds of rice cakes, however bean paste is totally a Korean thing, and I personally haven't tried eating that type of rice cake with the bean paste flowers. 

Thanks for the video, it's quite helpful! Hopefully mine will turn out great like yours!

tigermomma Posted 18 Apr 2016 , 12:03am
post #54 of 349

Hi @costumeczar ‍ I'm trying this out today. They actually use it primarily on rice cakes, not really on chiffons or sweet cakes. So rice cake + bean paste doesn't come out too weird...I think. hehe. I'm Asian (not Korean though) and I'm used to eating different kinds of rice cakes, however bean paste is totally a Korean thing, and I personally haven't tried eating that type of rice cake with the bean paste flowers. 

Thanks for the video, it's quite helpful! Hopefully mine will turn out great like yours!

angie_yap Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angie_yap Posted 18 Apr 2016 , 5:05am
post #55 of 349

Hi @Jymum, I'm really interested in the buttercream recipe as well. Don't mind if you can send me a copy of that when it's ready. Thank you so much really appreciate it :) 

TanyaSH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TanyaSH Posted 22 Apr 2016 , 8:13pm
post #56 of 349

Hi @JYMum ‍ I would really appreciate it if you could share your buttercream recipe with me too. My email is tanyasemenets@ hotmail.com... Thank you.

Singerssoul Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Singerssoul Posted 22 Apr 2016 , 9:03pm
post #57 of 349

Quote by @JYMum on 11 Apr 2016 , 7:38pm

Hi,Im ivymrspark. This is my new ID. Sorry for the late reply. I just came back home from holiday. Yes,I can share the my recipe. I had never learned from any korean teachers. this is my own method. So be sure it's really the one you r looking for. I'm planning on taking some photos toexplain how to make the glossy buttercream. You can leave your email. I will send you once it's ready.

I would love to have a copy too if you don;t mind. [email protected]

wolfs_spirit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wolfs_spirit Posted 24 Apr 2016 , 3:33am
post #58 of 349

Hi @JYMum 
would you mind to share your recipe with me too, please? my email is [email protected]

thanks a lot!

29mimakayla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
29mimakayla Posted 24 Apr 2016 , 1:58pm
post #59 of 349

Hi JYMum me too... I'd like to have a copy too... All this time i've been trying to make glossy buttercream and so far the closest one i got to my buttercream goal is the one using shortening,icing sugar,and corn syrup,vanilla essence....

If there is another option beside using shortening i would really like to try... My whole butter buttercream always have matte finish to it... 

I use the one with shortening for this cake...[postimage id="3698" thumb="900"]

Zayevil Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zayevil Posted 26 Apr 2016 , 12:37am
post #60 of 349

@JYMum ‍ hi, can u email me your buttercream recipe at [email protected]? Thanks! 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%