Please Help Me To Identify This Technique!

Decorating By rebeck9 Updated 8 Feb 2016 , 8:11am by rebeck9

rebeck9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rebeck9 Posted 7 Feb 2016 , 8:33am
post #1 of 10

Hi, please could you help me to identify what the technique is used on tiers 1,3 and 5?  It looks like print but I haven't seen it before. 

can anyone advise on how I would achieve this effect?

thank you for your help in advance!

9 replies
Jedi Knight Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jedi Knight Posted 7 Feb 2016 , 9:59am
post #2 of 10

Pic?

810whitechoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
810whitechoc Posted 7 Feb 2016 , 10:02am
post #3 of 10

No photo.

rebeck9 Posted 7 Feb 2016 , 10:10am
post #4 of 10

56b71819779f2.png

sorry, I attached it the first time, it must have disappeared!

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 7 Feb 2016 , 11:21am
post #5 of 10

It looks like lace to me. You can see the folds/creases on layer 3 along the edge. Must be a wide lace to cover parts of the top too.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 7 Feb 2016 , 4:25pm
post #6 of 10

I think it lace that's been held on the cake and then had dust applied. Then the lace was removed.   I love the way he color is uneven.  Or,maybe  the lace was imprinted on the cake (perhaps with a fondant smoother) and then dusted.

MagicMoon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MagicMoon Posted 7 Feb 2016 , 5:43pm
post #7 of 10

It looks like edible lace over marbled fondant to me.  Looks like maybe on tier 1 the edge is turned to ruffle back out in the front instead of folded and tucked under the edge of the second tier.  But everywhere else its got the pleat-type folds. 

Honestly? The real question to me is what type of lace it is.  I'm not entirely sure it's edible lace.  I was asked to put a 3" wrap of stretchy fabric lace around a "champagne" (biege) colored wedding cake recently and it looked a lot like that.  The one I used fit in the center of the tier.  But looking at the way the folds lay on tier three makes me wonder if this isn't fabric lace too.  I've used some edible lace but it was a homemade version.  I haven't used the Martello Sugar Dress I have in the cabinet yet.  I'm not sure how it handles and if edible lace would fold quite that way.  Maybe a more experienced lace decorator can answer that?

Debbie45628 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debbie45628 Posted 7 Feb 2016 , 8:46pm
post #8 of 10

Looks like fabric lace

810whitechoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
810whitechoc Posted 8 Feb 2016 , 5:19am
post #9 of 10

When you look closely at the flowers they look like fabric so I'm thinking it is fabric lace around the cake.  You could achieve a similar look with edible lace. I recently made a cake with edible lace and it does look similar but the lace mould is tall enough to neatly fit on a 10cm high cake without the folded over part on the top of each cake.

rebeck9 Posted 8 Feb 2016 , 8:11am
post #10 of 10

Thank you for your replies everyone, I'll try a couple of techniques and see how I get on. It would be weird to use fabric lace as it would have to be taken off before cutting it. Looks like I'll be investing in some sugarveil!

thanks for your help

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%