Friday Night Cake Club For 2/5/16

Decorating By catlharper Updated 9 Feb 2016 , 2:55am by julia1812

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 6 Feb 2016 , 3:48am
post #1 of 38

Opening up another session of the FNCC! ALL levels of cakers are welcome to share their week, photos of their work, ask for help or provide help if they can! Happy February everyone! This year is flying!

Cat

37 replies
catlharper Posted 6 Feb 2016 , 3:55am
post #2 of 38

Hi everyone! 

I hope everyone had a great week. Mine was just flat out busy. Life is changing really quickly in our house. Our son is beginning baseball again so that adds another level of scheduling to my life. Add to that the fact that we have come to the conclusion that my mom needs to retire and, as such, can't live on her own any longer so she'll have to move in with us this summer. This means our daughter, who was covering half of the rent for us, will be getting her own place with her daughter...as it should be...and my mom can't afford to take over so that means I have to go back to work full time. You guessed it, my scheduling just got more complicated. As of April I will be trying to get a full time job in preparation of my mom moving in and us taking on another adult to support. At the same time my photography is ramping up again. I'm not upset at my mom moving in...I adore her and we are very goood friends and I'm really happy she will be here with all of us and I think she'll be much happier too. But the financial is going to be very hard on us. I have two brothers and a sister and have to say that none of them have come forward to help. SIGH.  Anyways...the good news is that when I do go full time is will be M-F 9-5 so I'll be here every Friday night! I'll also have weekends off so I'm actually hopeful I'll have time to cake...at least work on decorating dummies. I really deeply miss that art form.

That's my update...hope you are all well and that I get to see some really cool creations again this week!

Cat

Marian64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marian64 Posted 6 Feb 2016 , 5:33am
post #3 of 38

Hi Cat sorry for the bad week, hopefully it will be better next week. I had my mom move in with us last year it cause a whole new level of stress, but it is well worth it. At least I think so. Thanks for all you do with starting the thread up each week. I look forward to it. 

The flower cake I posted last week, but I think it was on the delete thread so I am sharing again.

The Snoopy cake is for my little sister she turned 50 today. Praying it makes the 4 hour drive and just thankful that she wasn't born in the summer.

56b585a35d081.jpeg

56b585a42afd0.jpeg

catlharper Posted 6 Feb 2016 , 5:43am
post #4 of 38

@Marian64 ‍ Other than being beyond busy the week was ok but you are very right...it's stressful. Neither I nor my hubby wants me to go back to full time work but you do what you have to do, right? There are many, many upsides to having her move here but the financial is most definitely a downside. 

I adore your cakes but your Snoopy is just marvelous! I can only imagine how happy your sister will be!!! Hope it survives the trip to her tomorrow!!!

Cat

shellbell181 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shellbell181 Posted 6 Feb 2016 , 7:45am
post #5 of 38

oh i love the snoopy!!!

i made this cake for my daughter, i totally underestimated how big it was gonna be!!

56b5a4a2e8ce8.jpeg56b5a4a32d473.jpeg56b5a4a3609c3.jpeg56b5a4a3a1e31.jpeg

Marian64 Posted 6 Feb 2016 , 10:33am
post #6 of 38

@shellbell181 ‍ That is beautiful! I could see underestimating the size would happen, but I am sure it will be a big hit. Happy birthday to your little girl.

Webake2gether Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Webake2gether Posted 6 Feb 2016 , 5:22pm
post #7 of 38

Hey everyone!! It looks like everyone had a good cake week!! We had an order for a mermaid cake and then another order for beach theme cookies. I had a really difficult day yesterday and it was all I could do to get those cookies done. So I feel like they could've been better. But I got them done before midnight so that's a good thing. Today is full of basketball pictures and games with my boys then some deliveries to make. 

@catlharper â€ I hope that everything works out very well for your family. It's wonderful you have the opportunity to have your mom come live with you. Maybe with time there will be more involvement from your siblings :)

56b62bd4ef346.jpeg56b62bd5bae12.jpeg

Webake2gether Posted 6 Feb 2016 , 5:24pm
post #8 of 38

Sorry my second photo didn't post I apologize for the multiple posts :)

56b62c5652ef2.jpeg

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 6 Feb 2016 , 5:41pm
post #9 of 38

shellbell -- i so love your cake -- it's wonderful -- i want one like that just add a '5' behind the 6 -- hahahaha

it's really a fabulous work of art -- lotta love in there

-K8memphis Posted 6 Feb 2016 , 5:45pm
post #10 of 38

not to mention -- somebody's gonna be going with one cute yellow flip flop and one bare foot ... just sayin' :)

Webake2gether Posted 6 Feb 2016 , 5:54pm
post #11 of 38

No there is 3 dozen total there is another box of cookies all the same didn't think it was necessary to post two pictures of the same thing :) 

Webake2gether Posted 6 Feb 2016 , 5:58pm
post #12 of 38

No there is 3 dozen total so there is another yellow flip flop in the other box :) just didn't think it was necessary to post two pictures of the same thing lol. 

-K8memphis Posted 6 Feb 2016 , 6:24pm
post #13 of 38

:)

catlharper Posted 6 Feb 2016 , 7:08pm
post #14 of 38

My gosh! @shellbell181 ‍ That is just stunning! What a lot of work! Are those the little snow guys from Frozen? Just adorable!

@Webake2gether ‍ LOVE Ariel! Particularly the touch of confetti looking sugar dusting...I'm not sure I would have thought of doing that and it makes such an impact! The cookies are delightful! I think I like the beach balls the most but I know my girls would love the flip flops too! LOL!

Well...off to work. Have a great weekend! We are having a small Super Bowl party here tomorrow...mainly family...to cheer on the Panthers. 

Cat

SweetShop5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetShop5 Posted 6 Feb 2016 , 8:24pm
post #15 of 38

Wow great work everyone! 

This week we had 2 orders, one for a baby shower (cake, cookies and cake pops) and a birthday cake.

The first cake is Star Wars themed with the BB-8 robot! I think it might be one of my favourites!

900_star-wars-bb-8-birthday-cake-937512Ct9FY.jpg

We also make this elephant themed cake for a baby shower. It matches the invites and all the decor.

900_elephant-baby-shower-cake-937512xFzwM.jpg

shellbell181 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shellbell181 Posted 6 Feb 2016 , 9:48pm
post #16 of 38

Thanx for the lovely comments, I forgot to say the bottom tier is Alice in wonderland, middle tier is Disney tangled and top tier is frozen fever that's what I get when I asked my daughter to help design the cake!!

catlharper Posted 7 Feb 2016 , 12:36am
post #17 of 38

@SweetShop5 ‍ Oh...Em..Gee! That baby shower cake is SOOOOOO cute! If I were to have another I'd want THAT cake on the table! SO cute! And love the BB8 cake! Just perfection!

@shellbell181 ‍ I thought that was the theme but I wasn't sure...we loved the little snow guys SO much! Adorable cake!

Cat

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 7 Feb 2016 , 1:08am
post #18 of 38

@shellbell181 ‍ I can't even take it all in!  That cake represents sooo much detail work!  So beautiful... how long did it take?!

@SweetShop5 ‍ Your work continues to amaze!  Flawless and clean, just love it!

rsquared02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rsquared02 Posted 7 Feb 2016 , 1:57am
post #19 of 38

Amazing work, everyone!  It's not pretty, but I made the fried chicken, mashed potato cake for my hubby's birthday. 

A qord of advice, go light on the gravy. Gah! It was collapsing, even after I attempted to fix it a few times. I thought he would like the novelty, but it seems like it was a fail, he didn't really seem to care for it. :-/ Oh well. I made chocolate cake with chocolate ganache for his dad's birthday (the day after), so maybe that will make up for it. 

56b6a46edfc3f.jpeg56b6a46f644a9.jpeg

kstevens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kstevens Posted 7 Feb 2016 , 1:59am
post #20 of 38

Great work everyone!  This is my first time taking part in FNCC and I am sharing what I was up to last Fri/Sat.  I always seem to end up with two big cakes at once.  This time around it was a (Canadian) navy retirement cake and a Lego Batman.  I was very happy with how they both turned out so hope you like them too :-)56b6a4e8ac188.jpeg56b6a4e9191f1.jpeg

kstevens Posted 7 Feb 2016 , 2:00am
post #21 of 38

kstevens Posted 7 Feb 2016 , 2:06am
post #22 of 38

Having trouble getting Batman to post....trying again.

56b6a6ab49ca4.jpeg

me_me1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
me_me1 Posted 7 Feb 2016 , 2:25am
post #23 of 38

Gorgeous work everyone, love them all   :)

I had my little niece's 3rd birthday cake to make this weekend and we had some very serious design discussions in the lead up to her party.  I am loving it now she's of an age where she can tell me exactly what she wants - I am soooooo looking forward to all the future birthdays for her and her little sister!!

For this cake she wanted ballet shoes made out of sugar, a sugar Peppa Pig dressed as a fairy, the cake had to be strawberry flavoured and lastly (and this bit was VERY IMPORTANT) it had to have lots of sprinkles.  She is so adorable.

56b6ab0172108.jpeg

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 7 Feb 2016 , 6:15am
post #24 of 38

Such amazing cakes this week!  @kstevens â€ I can't even imagine where you would start on a cake like that!

I only have a cake for a one year old whose birthday happens to fall on the day of the Superbowl and Dad is a huge Broncos fan.

56b6e0f750ec8.jpeg

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 7 Feb 2016 , 11:51am
post #25 of 38

Wow, all the cakes are so lovely. Can't choose a favorite because they are all perfect. But I know my oldest would like the batman cake lol! Sorry @rsquared02 the fried chicken cake wasn't a hit. I think it's a fun idea :)

@catlharper I'm sorry you have so much stress. I know how it feels! It all happens for a good reason so fingers crossed you'll manage!

I'm joining fncc a bit late because I had my youngest son's birthday party yesterday. He's all into train your dragon and dragon's in general so of course this was the theme of his party. Had a house full with 20 kids plus parents, playing dragon games, swimming and entertaining everyone while my hubby was absent due to work. Am simply exhausted lol!

Of course I made a dragon cake

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 7 Feb 2016 , 1:10pm
post #26 of 38

56b7425590074.jpeg

Marian64 Posted 7 Feb 2016 , 3:04pm
post #27 of 38

Such amazing cakes! @julia1812 ‍ I love the dragon cake

SweetShop5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetShop5 Posted 7 Feb 2016 , 5:05pm
post #28 of 38

@catlharper ‍ Thank you Cat!! I will be going to the baby shower this afternoon since its for our cousin, I will post some pictures of the set up later!

@Pastrybaglady ‍ Thank you very much! I'm very jealous of your buttercream cakes, they're always so smooth!!! The jersey cake is fantastic!

LizzieAylett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LizzieAylett Posted 7 Feb 2016 , 9:44pm
post #29 of 38

I'm loving these cakes, especially the dragon one and the Lego Batman.

I made some roses for a friend's daughter's birthday cake.  Quite pleased how they turned out, especially as I broke my finger half way through the process (by slipping on a wet floor).56b7bad77458d.jpeg56b7bad80cc9b.jpeg

LizzieAylett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LizzieAylett Posted 7 Feb 2016 , 9:46pm
post #30 of 38

56b7bb2159bec.jpeg

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%