Silicon Pan For Wedding Cake? Help!

Baking By Homelovingirl31 Updated 6 Feb 2016 , 11:41pm by Homelovingirl31

Homelovingirl31 Posted 5 Feb 2016 , 7:49pm
post #1 of 4

Hi!    I have just found this forum and hope I can get some advice.     I am doing a wedding cake for my daughter's wedding (2 weeks time), I am about to do the bottom tier (10 inch), this is a rich fruit cake recipe.

I only have a large silicon round mould that will do for the size, the other two tiers were done in heavy metal tins.    Has anyone every made a large fruit cake successfully in a silicon mould?     I have read bad reports about them, but this is all I have I must get in done within the next day or so.      Any advice would be very welcome thank!

I lined the previous two inside with double parchment and wrapped down heavy brown paper on the outside of both tins.    I am assuming I will need to do same with the silicon pan......

3 replies
kakeladi Posted 6 Feb 2016 , 2:53am
post #2 of 4

Sorry no one has been able to help you.  I can't either as I have never bakes a fruit cake nor used a silicon pan.  Just posting to help move this up to the top where maybe someone who can help will see it.

MimiFix Posted 6 Feb 2016 , 5:00pm
post #3 of 4

I've baked in large silicone pans. Treat the pan the same way you would metal pans, but double-pan the sheet tray you place it on. Good luck!

Homelovingirl31 Posted 6 Feb 2016 , 11:41pm
post #4 of 4

Hi, many thanks to you both for replying.    I currently have the cake in the oven, it should be out later on tonight, I have double-wrapped brown paper around the outside as well as lining (twice) the inside and the bottom of the silicon pan.    I found another cake tin the same size as the silicone pan, so I put the silicone one inside the metal one for support.

It recommends baking for 4 and a half to 5 hours, will let you know how I get on.     Does anyone have advice on testing whether it's done or not, as I tend to slightly overbake and have found that the surface of the first two cakes (rich fruit) cakes are a bit hard.

Thanks in advance.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%