Help Please One Tier Cake 80 Servings

Baking By Juli2527 Updated 6 Feb 2016 , 2:06pm by nadiacorallo

Juli2527 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Juli2527 Posted 5 Feb 2016 , 2:09pm
post #1 of 11

Good morning ladies, i am new in cake decorating i have my first big cake, the customer requested one round tier cake design star wars theme, to feed 80 people, have you done before one single tier with this amont of servings? If so which size pan did you use ?a 15  inch will work? I guess it is more covenient to make three tiers, but she wants one single tier. Thanks!

10 replies
veghed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veghed Posted 5 Feb 2016 , 4:03pm
post #2 of 11

I am not a decorator or expert in any way; I just hang out here because I'm a wannabe.

But the first thing I thought was cupcakes on the side?  If she was willing.  My brother had a dice cakes for his BD, and the baker had cupcakes on the side on a cupcake tree.

It was nice.

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 5 Feb 2016 , 5:43pm
post #3 of 11

According to the Wilton guide for wedding sized pieces 1" x 2" at 4" tall, a 14" round cake will give you 82 pieces!

yanci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yanci Posted 5 Feb 2016 , 6:41pm
post #4 of 11

Hi - Here is a link to Wilton's serving guide.  There are many other ones online but this one is pretty standard.  If the cake is for a birthday be sure to use the Party Serving guide.  There is a big difference between a wedding cake and a party cake. 

http://www.wilton.com/cms-baking-serving-guide.html

Hope this helps.  Good luck. 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 5 Feb 2016 , 10:53pm
post #5 of 11

food for thought since you are starting out  -- just pick one serving chart -- i'd recommend the Wilton wedding cake data chart --because otherwise you have to keep two different pricing charts -- i don't know why Wilton made that dang party serving size -- the wedding cake serving chart is the industry standard  -- the serving size of 1x2x4  sounds small but it is the industry standard it is the right size --

for example two teen agers could cut a 9x13 in half and make two servings out of it but that's not how it works at a celebration when party planners are ordering a special cake or if they do want larger servings then they order more servings -- you don't increase your stated serving size -- you just sell more of those

http://www.wilton.com/cms-wedding-cake-data.htmlhtml

best to you

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 5 Feb 2016 , 10:55pm
post #6 of 11

and i think you are spot on with a 15" cake 4" tall

Juli2527 Posted 5 Feb 2016 , 11:06pm
post #7 of 11

k8memphis thank you so much for your advise this is exactly what i needed to hear, i was having a hard time deciding if a 15 inch will work due to the size of the serving, I need to repeat to myself what you just said, want more cake, order a big one! Thanks again! Will go with 15 inch cake. 

Jinkies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jinkies Posted 5 Feb 2016 , 11:22pm
post #8 of 11

A 4" tall cake is a big cake.  You can't think of them like grocery store cakes that are about 2" high.  They will have plenty of cake and probably some left over too.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 6 Feb 2016 , 2:45am
post #9 of 11

I know everyone thinks a 1x2x4 is small but if you cut it in 1/2 so you have 2 pieces 1x2x2 and stack them you end up with the same amount of cake as the so called party size!   Try it with a piece of wood or styro.  

Be sure to use a very sturdy base board - at the very least glue 2 cake boards together.

Juli2527 Posted 6 Feb 2016 , 4:44am
post #10 of 11

Thanks a lot for your advises and time!

nadiacorallo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nadiacorallo Posted 6 Feb 2016 , 2:06pm
post #11 of 11

I have the cake slicer app. Downloaded on my phone. It works great! You can change the size of slice accordingly and it even gives you a diagram and tells you how to cut it! 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%