Decorating By nbrockman Updated 9 Feb 2016 , 1:56am by nbrockman

nbrockman Posted 4 Feb 2016 , 7:48pm
post #1 of 7

I have a cake due in 3 weeks and the bride wants pinecones, do i try to make them or can i place boughten ones on top that she purchased from craft store... Ive never made them before. Any tips? Thanks!!

6 replies
640Cake Posted 4 Feb 2016 , 9:35pm
post #2 of 7

Personally, I would not use craft store pine cones.  If you do, I'd place a piece of parchment or wax paper underneath them.  I wouldn't want that to touch the cake.

There are a few tutorials on how to make pine cones...some out of chocolate, some out of royal icing.  I purchased a mold for the pine cones I have done.  I found that easier and I use the mold quite often in the winter :) You could also make your own mold if you'd like to go that route.

MBalaska Posted 5 Feb 2016 , 1:14am
post #3 of 7

there is a pinecone tutorial on this website by (I think) @costumeczar ‍ 

costumeczar Posted 5 Feb 2016 , 2:30am
post #4 of 7

Yes, it's the first one on the list that @640Cake ‍ put up. I'd do them that way, it's not difficult and real ones are dirty and tend to drop little pieces of the cones off.

julia1812 Posted 5 Feb 2016 , 4:52am
post #5 of 7

You can make them out of fondant and then cut the spices with scissors. That's what I did with the trees and it was super easy and fast!

kakeladi Posted 6 Feb 2016 , 3:08am
post #6 of 7

As for how to make them it depends on how big and what icing you want to use.  If b'cream is o.k. and you know how to make a rose you can make pinecones :)  

nbrockman Posted 9 Feb 2016 , 1:56am
post #7 of 7

Thanks everyone  I am going to practice this week and try the royal icing version! 

Quote by @%username% on %date%