Cupcake Recipe Quantity Rant

Baking By .eat.cake. Updated 6 Feb 2016 , 3:14pm by -K8memphis

.eat.cake. Posted 3 Feb 2016 , 4:44pm
post #1 of 6

Hi all, 

Does anyone else have this issue or is it just me? I use what I believe to be standard size cupcake cases inside the wilton 12 hole muffin tin when baking.

When I follow a recipe for 12 or 24 cupcakes I only ever get 9 or 18 from the batter. If I divide by the stated number of cases I end up with cupcakes that don't rise to the top of the case.

Just a frustrated rant really as I have followed many recipes and it is always the same! 

5 replies
julia1812 Posted 3 Feb 2016 , 5:30pm
post #2 of 6

The recipe might be for the smaller 95mm cupcakes. I get normal sized 12 cupcakes (115mm) out of my single batch recipe and 15 smaller ones (95mm). 

640Cake Posted 4 Feb 2016 , 5:12pm
post #3 of 6

If you're using a box mix, they are now a smaller size, which means less batter - less cupcakes.

soniaseo Posted 6 Feb 2016 , 5:24am
post #4 of 6

That recipe is only for the smaller cup cakes. If you want to bake large amount of cupcakes then you need to use large box to mix the dough and for small obvious small box.

.eat.cake. Posted 6 Feb 2016 , 6:25am
post #5 of 6

Thanks for the replys,  though I don't use box mixes, I am a scratch baker. I did look into the cases sizes,  though looking at the picture of what the cakes should look like I am sure that the intended size is the larger one. 

Thanks again :)

-K8memphis Posted 6 Feb 2016 , 3:14pm
post #6 of 6

i never expect a recipe to conform to my standard -- i make it -- i measure the quantity and record it so that i can be more accurate with it next time -- there are so many specific good outcomes for different cake batters and sometimes if you use a different size pan or change the amount of batter you bake off it's a more dismal outcome -- you need to know your recipes front back and center plus keep good records --

after a while -- like you seem to be there already -- you know by looking at a recipe how much it will make

also if you know it will be the same result you have  your answer -- make more batter -- increase your recipes/ingredients accordingly

i don't make a lot of cupcakes and there are 10,000 different sizes of everything now so be sure to record those muffin paper sizes  too

Quote by @%username% on %date%