Moving Large Buttercream Roses To Cake?

Decorating By Britterfly Updated 4 Feb 2016 , 6:10pm by Britterfly

Britterfly Posted 3 Feb 2016 , 1:07pm
post #1 of 6

How do you move your large buttercream roses to your sheet cakes? I have a 1st birthday rose sheet cake coming up that requires large & smaller sized roses. I can make the different sized roses because I have several different sized rose tips to make them, BUT I am having a hard time getting the big roses off of the flower nails & onto the cake. I used the wilton flower nails with their plastic scissors to move them, but every time I try to move the large ones it falls apart or loses it's shape. So aggravating! Is there an easier, better way to move big roses to a cake without tearing it up? 

*Last edited by Britterfly on 3 Feb 2016 , 1:09pm
5 replies
ypierce82 Posted 3 Feb 2016 , 1:17pm
post #2 of 6

Pop them into the freezer for a few minutes to firm up. So much easier to move.

-K8memphis Posted 3 Feb 2016 , 1:22pm
post #3 of 6

scissors -- like sewing scissors -- the bigger the flower you leave the scissors open more to support it and swirl it off the nail and onto the blades -- bam

kakeladi Posted 4 Feb 2016 , 1:13am
post #4 of 6

Yes what they said.  I also sounds to me like maybe your icing is too soft.  Try thickening it up just a bit more.

Jeff_Arnett Posted 4 Feb 2016 , 1:12pm
post #5 of 6

Pipe your roses on squares of waxed paper fixed to the nail with a dot of icing.  Slip a small angled spatula under the paper and lift it from the nail, place the roses on a cookie sheet and freeze them for about 10 minutes, then slip your small spatula under the rose and position on the cake before it thaws....works great.

Britterfly Posted 4 Feb 2016 , 6:10pm
post #6 of 6

I've tried both stiff & soft icing, both mess up. I will def try putting them in the freezer, I think that should work! Thanks everyone!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%