Moving Large Buttercream Roses To Cake?

Decorating By Britterfly Updated 4 Feb 2016 , 6:10pm by Britterfly

Britterfly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Britterfly Posted 3 Feb 2016 , 1:07pm
post #1 of 6

How do you move your large buttercream roses to your sheet cakes? I have a 1st birthday rose sheet cake coming up that requires large & smaller sized roses. I can make the different sized roses because I have several different sized rose tips to make them, BUT I am having a hard time getting the big roses off of the flower nails & onto the cake. I used the wilton flower nails with their plastic scissors to move them, but every time I try to move the large ones it falls apart or loses it's shape. So aggravating! Is there an easier, better way to move big roses to a cake without tearing it up? 

*Last edited by Britterfly on 3 Feb 2016 , 1:09pm
5 replies
ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 3 Feb 2016 , 1:17pm
post #2 of 6

Pop them into the freezer for a few minutes to firm up. So much easier to move.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 3 Feb 2016 , 1:22pm
post #3 of 6

scissors -- like sewing scissors -- the bigger the flower you leave the scissors open more to support it and swirl it off the nail and onto the blades -- bam

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 4 Feb 2016 , 1:13am
post #4 of 6

Yes what they said.  I also sounds to me like maybe your icing is too soft.  Try thickening it up just a bit more.

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 4 Feb 2016 , 1:12pm
post #5 of 6

Pipe your roses on squares of waxed paper fixed to the nail with a dot of icing.  Slip a small angled spatula under the paper and lift it from the nail, place the roses on a cookie sheet and freeze them for about 10 minutes, then slip your small spatula under the rose and position on the cake before it thaws....works great.

Britterfly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Britterfly Posted 4 Feb 2016 , 6:10pm
post #6 of 6

I've tried both stiff & soft icing, both mess up. I will def try putting them in the freezer, I think that should work! Thanks everyone!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%