Crimping Tools!

Decorating By LouisNutri Updated 4 Feb 2016 , 2:28pm by -K8memphis

LouisNutri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LouisNutri Posted 3 Feb 2016 , 10:51am
post #1 of 6

Hi! My brother's friend from high school has asked me to make a cake for her, but the design she wants has a crimped top-edge of the cake and border of the board. Is there a way to do a "crimping" effect without the specific tool? I don't see myself using the tool anymore than that time and don't want to spend $$ for it. This is the look she's going for: 

hqdefault.jpg

5 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 3 Feb 2016 , 12:07pm
post #2 of 6

i mean you could make one but it's easier to buy and pass the cost on to the client you'll be surprised how often you'll use it -- in 40 years i've used mine two or three times hahaha

just upcharge them for it 

hey did you ever get your airbrush? 

Britterfly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Britterfly Posted 3 Feb 2016 , 1:12pm
post #3 of 6

These are only $10 on amazon. I have a set & they work great. It would save you a lot of time. You could do like K8memphis said & upcharge them for it...

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004M6F8E6/?tag=cakecentral-20+crimper

LouisNutri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LouisNutri Posted 4 Feb 2016 , 2:19am
post #4 of 6

@-K8memphis ‍ Thing is, I didn't know that I'd use an extra tool for it until I've taken a really good look of the design she wanted, so I just sent her the bill I'm asking for. I don't think it would be right for me to suddenly add another $ 13 to that. That was my mistake. About the airbrush, no, I haven't got the airbrush yet, I was eyeing one at a cake shop from where I'm from but I'm still unsure of what is good airbrush.

@Britterfly ‍ I found one like that in an online shop in my country but sells it $13 excluding shipping. That's why I'm wary of buying it, because it's so expensive (at least in my pov), and I doubt I'd be able to use it more than 2 times as the market around me don't like fondant that much and aren't exactly aware of the versatility of the cake world. So the market tends to go for more traditional buttercream, storebought cakes, and rarely customized cakes.

-K8memphis Posted 4 Feb 2016 , 12:29pm
post #5 of 6

i have one of these

http://www.kopykake.com/store/cake-decorating-products/airbrush-compressor-sets/

and I bought one that had far more capabilities on eBay once but that was right when i was being forced to retire so i re-sold it back on ebay never used but it had a lot more bells and whistles -- although i was never positive it was food safe either -- it was an art brush and brand new -- sold with good kroma air brush color -- so anyway i hope you find a real good one--

i always remembered your post -- went to answer it and couldn't ever find it ? but getting/using/assimilating an airbrush into your repertoire is a wonderful thing -- a very useful tool -- opens worlds of decorating possibilities

best air brushing and all things to you

-K8memphis Posted 4 Feb 2016 , 12:37pm
post #6 of 6

my post was held for moderation -- i think it's a glitch in the system but it's so ironic because i kept looking for a previous post of yours -- your air brush post from a while back and could never find it -- i have to work extra hard to answer your posts, louisnutri, but you're worth it :) but let's see if I can re-post in the meantime:

i have one of these

http://www.kopykake.com/store/cake-decorating-products/airbrush-compressor-sets/

and I bought one that had far more capabilities on eBay once but that was right when i was being forced to retire so i re-sold it back on ebay never used but it had a lot more bells and whistles -- although i was never positive it was food safe either -- it was an art brush and brand new -- sold with good kroma air brush color -- so anyway i hope you find a real good one--

i always remembered your post -- went to answer it and couldn't ever find it ? but getting/using/assimilating an airbrush into your repertoire is a wonderful thing -- a very useful tool -- opens worlds of decorating possibilities

best air brushing and all things to you

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%