Matching Buttercream

Decorating By Kim1182 Updated 31 Jan 2016 , 7:56pm by -K8memphis

Kim1182 Posted 31 Jan 2016 , 7:01pm
post #1 of 5

I've been asked to do a tiered cake.  Cake tiers/icing will be two different flavours.  Icing on one is a marshmallow buttercream made with butter, the other is American buttercream made with hi-ratio shortening.  Any suggestions on how to achieve/obtain the same color for both icings?  Trying to get whiter icing (American buttercream) closer to marshmallow buttercream which has an off-white color.  Client is ok with an off white color.  Thanks

4 replies
-K8memphis Posted 31 Jan 2016 , 7:09pm
post #2 of 5

honestly they are just not going to match -- but use brown vanilla in them to help -- couldn't you make the american with butter instead of hi-ratio for it to be that much closer? you could tint them both (wilton) ivory to see if you could get them there but in the natural no not gonna match --

will there be any piping? pipe the decor with the other icing so it all matchy matches

Kim1182 Posted 31 Jan 2016 , 7:22pm
post #3 of 5

Thank-you K8memphis.  I knew you'd know.  Your answers are always good!  I think I'll try the butter vs the hi-ratio. Since icing tends to darken up the longer it sits, I'm wondering if I make the American buttercream a few days before the other if it will get closer in color.  Guess I'll have to experiment.  No piping so I can't disguise it that way.  If I wanted to go with a very, very light blue, what do you think would be the best color product?

-K8memphis Posted 31 Jan 2016 , 7:38pm
post #4 of 5

very very light blue made with a butter icing becomes a very very light green esp if you use the non-clear brown tasty vanilla ;) -- i read on here that adding a dot of purple to a yellow-y icing brings it back closer to white but i've never done it and remain skeptical regarding pale pastel colors -- one day i'll try it and report back or if you try it and it works let me know :) 

i feel sure it would work to tinge the yellow out but then to mix a pale color on top of that -- i don't know...maybe? food color is weird stuff -- even just between different brands it can get confusing but it might work.... i'd use americolor for this project --

icing tends to darken as it sits because of food color not usually from butter -- 

thank you for the nice words 

best to you

-K8memphis Posted 31 Jan 2016 , 7:56pm
post #5 of 5

but then to get two different icings in pale pastel colors to match after jumping through all those hoops -- idk -- now those with the food color you'll want to let sit & see -- you could always airbrush or use an areosal can of edible color

Quote by @%username% on %date%