Figures Without Wires...

Decorating By novakern Updated 2 Feb 2016 , 2:34am by novakern

novakern Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
novakern Posted 31 Jan 2016 , 1:57pm
post #1 of 14

how can i make this figure. (mostly worried about arms) completely edible; no wires. will rice krispie treats do it? I've never worked with them. I usually use gumpaste and wires but would like this to be completely edible if possible.

thanks

56ae12ce703b7.png

13 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 31 Jan 2016 , 1:59pm
post #2 of 14

I can't see the picture, but if the arms are really thin it might be hard. If you make them out of rice krispie treats then rub melted white chocolate or candy melts all over it that will solidify it to a certain extent, but you'll still have to be careful with thin pieces.

costumeczar Posted 31 Jan 2016 , 2:00pm
post #3 of 14

Oh, now I can see it for some reason. You can probably do it the way I said, the arms aren't going to be affected by gravity too much in that position. Just form it all out of rice krispies, then cover it with melted chocolate and let it set up.

novakern Posted 31 Jan 2016 , 5:17pm
post #4 of 14

what if I buy sculpting chocolate? I was just going to buy fondarific fondant and noticed the sculpting chocolate they make. would that work too?

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 1 Feb 2016 , 4:37am
post #5 of 14

How big are you making the figure?

Jedi Knight Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jedi Knight Posted 1 Feb 2016 , 6:31am
post #6 of 14

Do you mean modeling chocolate?

Is the whole figure going to be make of cake, or is this just a smaller figure to go on top of a cake?

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 1 Feb 2016 , 11:41am
post #7 of 14

gravity is gravity you will need some kind of support even if it is edible -- if you are just making a figurine and you use no support and bump an arm -- bam! so think about using a thick pasta like fettucine maybe but it can break too so ... straws might be better than wires -- but i'd hate to see your good work break and then break your heart -- the smaller the better for all edible

novakern Posted 1 Feb 2016 , 11:41am
post #8 of 14

This is just a smaller figure to go on top. I would like him to be at least 7" tall. I'm going to make a gumpaste brick wall for im to lean on

novakern Posted 1 Feb 2016 , 11:47am
post #9 of 14

so basically using Rice krispie treats (ive never use them) is about the same as using wires and building on top with fondant and gumpaste? just a little cheaper?

-K8memphis Posted 1 Feb 2016 , 12:31pm
post #10 of 14

no, not at all -- rice krispies and choco is a potential way to make some parts of a sculpture -- while it's not gravity proof it can be effective -- wire is cheaper i'm sure -- the arms on your figurine will be the biggest issue -- leaning it against a wall is a great idea -- a 7" figure will have arms/legs of 3" give or take -- even solid chocolate might crack if bumped so keeping it against the wall is a great idea for stability -- but a skinny straw in there would be even better -- could still be eaten

costumeczar Posted 1 Feb 2016 , 12:55pm
post #11 of 14

You could use modeling chocolate for the whole thing. It's easier to work with than fondant or gumpaste for that kind of thing because you can smooth out the surface. For something that small you don't need supports in the arms if it's made from one big hunk of it and the arms are attached at the shoulders well enough.

-K8memphis Posted 1 Feb 2016 , 2:17pm
post #12 of 14

the sticks in his hand will need to be eliminated or reinforced with a pretzel inside if the size of the pretzel doesn't take it out of perspective --  or a stick of fat spaghetti or something -- modelling choco at that small size will droop from the heat in your hand as you try to attach it to the hands -- as will the wrists droop i think -- i mean maybe if you freeze it but then it might sweat -- idk -- seems unlikely to me but maybe so --

i think fondant + cornstarch well kneaded in* would have a better chance of the arms/wrists/hands & those sticks surviving  -- or maybe a combo of the cornstarch + fondant plus some modelling choco because otherwise there's no structure -- nothing to hold it up -- the bens in the elbow, the narrow wrist the impossible skinny sticks -- idk --

*i'd say that to a handful size blob of fondant you'd want to knead in about 1/3 to  1/2 cup of cornstarch -- 

best to you -- hope it all works out

-K8memphis Posted 1 Feb 2016 , 2:19pm
post #13 of 14

*bends in the elbows

novakern Posted 2 Feb 2016 , 2:34am
post #14 of 14

thanks everyone. I think i'll just use wires. They'll live. I don't want to be a nervous wreck

i'll post when its done

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%