Friday Night Cake Club For 1/29/16

Decorating By catlharper Updated 2 Feb 2016 , 3:27pm by Webake2gether

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 30 Jan 2016 , 8:08pm
post #1 of 23

Opening up another week of the FNCC! All cakers are welcome to share their week, photos of their work, ask for help if needed or provide help if you can!

Cat

22 replies
SweetShop5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetShop5 Posted 30 Jan 2016 , 8:34pm
post #2 of 23

Let's do this again! lol

Hi everyone!

This week we made 40 gender neutral sugar cookies for a baby shower! 

900_gender-neutral-baby-shower-cookies-93751283WZ6.jpg

We also received our photos from the photographer from the photo shoot! We made a half cake, a small 4" cake with a dash of sprinkles, another 4" cake with pink chocolate drip, and just a plain 4" cake covered in buttercream. We're so happy with the photos!

900_sprinkle-cakes-937512sWbAl.jpg

http://www.cakecentral.com/gallery/i/3359144/sprinkle-cakes

Crystal72384 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crystal72384 Posted 30 Jan 2016 , 11:53pm
post #3 of 23

Here is what I was working on. I made this cake for my husbands co worker who is leaving.  This is strawberry cake with cream cheese frosting covered in chocolate ganache.  Sorry the pictures are not great.  These are a couple my mom and husband took. I actually forgot to take some myself.

56ad4d006e7c8.jpeg56ad4d014e4c8.jpeg56ad4d0222d6c.jpeg

Crystal72384 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crystal72384 Posted 30 Jan 2016 , 11:55pm
post #4 of 23

56ad4d5941a48.jpeg

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 31 Jan 2016 , 1:28am
post #5 of 23

Okay, third times a charm, right?  Thank you Cat for getting this out so many times!  Good grief...

So this was a birthday cake for a guy who loves weightlifting, his dog and cell phone.  It's hard to see but the dog is holding a cell phone in his mouth.

56ad6323d1550.jpeg

This next cake looks so simple and straightforward but it was one of the hardest cakes I've ever attempted!  I would only do this for my daughter  :)

56ad6324de9c3.jpeg

This  panda inside!

56ad6325cba27.jpeg

*Last edited by Pastrybaglady on 31 Jan 2016 , 1:31am
hep275 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hep275 Posted 31 Jan 2016 , 10:02am
post #6 of 23

Again apologies for having deleted catlharper's second attempt at this thread.  I had intended to re-start it this morning but she beat me to it.  

Hopefully i will be able to post a link to a birthday i made for a friend this week.  I suffer with shaky hands so positioning letters and small detail is sometimes rather difficult.

I used the FMM easiest ever rose cutter but still need to practice to get the roses to actually look like roses!

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?format=go&jsonp=vglnk_145423445767612&key=5dc6b1f0077192a27e15cc93f698ad57&libId=ik2dmheh01010rg5000DLlan5yi44&loc=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cakecentral.com%2Fgallery%2Fi%2F3359832%2Fsues-birthday-cake&v=1&out=https%3A%2F%2Fucarecdn.com%2F0f68fb31-9f11-4d61-a7ca-ad79203bb5ae%2F-%2Fresize%2F900x%2F&ref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cakecentral.com%2Fgallery%2Fi%2Fadd&title=Sue%27s%20birthday%20cake&txt=%0A%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%0A%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 31 Jan 2016 , 10:43am
post #7 of 23

pastrybaglady -- your panda cake is magnificent -- i am a fan of your adorable panda macarons and this cake is truly wonderful -- came our great --

question for you, please, did you use batter for the panda or did you use already baked sections -- would love it if you elaborated on your method

wow love it just amazing

-K8memphis Posted 31 Jan 2016 , 10:44am
post #8 of 23

did you use black cocoa?

Pastrybaglady Posted 31 Jan 2016 , 1:48pm
post #9 of 23

56ae10a2e7594.jpeg

I cut many pandas from baked cake and puzzled the pieces together before laying all the pieces in a loaf pan with fresh wet batter for a final bake.  I made sure to wrap the cake while it was still warm and freeze it so the cake would still be moist (does anyone have a better word to use to describe cake that's not dry?)  The cake tasted great so it was a success.  I would advise anyone making this kind of cake to use pound cake or a dense tight crumbed cake.  It cuts better and the look is more defined.  I used dutch processed cocoa.  In the picture it looks black, but in real life it's a dark brown.

cara1982 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cara1982 Posted 31 Jan 2016 , 3:45pm
post #10 of 23

56ae2c37f0099.jpeg56ae2c38e7328.jpeg56ae2c39dc90d.jpegBaby shower cupcakes this week. I seriously under estimated the time these took!

cara1982 Posted 31 Jan 2016 , 3:47pm
post #11 of 23

56ae2c97712a7.jpeg

cara1982 Posted 31 Jan 2016 , 3:48pm
post #12 of 23

56ae2ce80946b.jpeg

cara1982 Posted 31 Jan 2016 , 3:49pm
post #13 of 23

Baby shower cupcakes this week. I seriously under estimated how long these would take! 

-K8memphis Posted 31 Jan 2016 , 4:50pm
post #14 of 23

pastrybaglady -- ok cool -- so the head, eyes, ears and nose are all already baked right?

oh just cut out and lay out the round head (s) and using a cookie cutter cut out and remove eye holes in the white and cut out and implant eyes from brown  and the same for the noses and make a huge stack of them then place into the fresh batter in the pan and add the ears --fill with remaining batter as you go -- like that?

yes and i was wondering about my pound cake -- yours looks great on colors -- i wonder if putting purple in mine will pull it more white -- it comes out kinda yellow i think -- i can't remember how yellow it is it was never an issue before --

so you  have assembled slices of panda face and lined them all up back to back or front to back or front to front well all in a row :) but did you notice anything weird when it was sliced did any of the original panda sections serve weirdy or anything -- did they all clam up well together -- the fresh baked batter i guess holds it all in well?

and how long was your last bake? 20 minutes or so maybe? it looks moist lush/luscious -- no there's not really a better word than moist ;)

thank you

Pastrybaglady Posted 31 Jan 2016 , 5:43pm
post #15 of 23

@cara1982 ‍ Those are adorable but but yeah they must have taken soooo long!  I'm sure they were greatly admired by those lucky enough to get one :)

@-K8memphis ‍ yes you got the idea.  I don't know exactly how long the last bake was, but it was longgg.  Just had to keep checking it.  It cut up as you see.  Some of the pandas towards to middle turned a bit diagonal but I was as shocked because I was experiencing all kinds of breakage when cutting the eyes.  I just kept patching as I went and somehow it came out. 

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 31 Jan 2016 , 6:20pm
post #16 of 23

Hi everyone! Now I get the fun job of catching up with all of your creations!!!

@SweetShop5 ‍ Those cookies are so cute! I do admire the cookie artists here! And what an adorable cake table for the photo shoot! How much fun that must have been!

@Crystal72384 ‍ That cake is truly lovely! I can only imagine how much she must have loved that!

@Pastrybaglady ‍ The dog is adorable! You always do such clean work! Congrats on the surprise cake! I've always wondered if the cake inside (the design part) stays yummy or dries out after the second baking? Kudos on your patience in making it!

@hep275 ‍ Your roses are simply gorgeous! I hate doing lettering too so you are definitely not alone! LOL! But the cake is beautiful!

@cara1982 ‍ What DID you get yourself into? LOL! That was a whole pile of work but they are just the absolute cutest! I can only imagine how big they went over at the party! Those would definitely fall into the category of too pretty to eat!

I'm off work today and have the itch to bake...not sure what it will be but something is coming out of my kitchen today! LOL!

Have a great week everyone!

Cat

-K8memphis Posted 31 Jan 2016 , 7:05pm
post #17 of 23

@-pastrybaglady -- yes it did come out great -- bravo and congratulations

not to mention you've inspired me to give it a go

thank you

SweetShop5 Posted 1 Feb 2016 , 3:23pm
post #18 of 23

@catlharper ‍ Thanks Cat! I hope you're feeling better! The shoot was extremely fun! As for the cookies, it's one of my favourite things to do! I find cookie decorating relaxing lol

Great work everyone!

Webake2gether Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Webake2gether Posted 1 Feb 2016 , 7:31pm
post #19 of 23

Great work this week everyone!! It's sooo nice to be able to see everyone's cakes, cupcakes and cookies posted in the thread again!! Sooo cute!!

Im a little late to the thread this week. Took me all week to get back to normal after having the upper respiratory flu the week before last. Hope you get to feeling better and back to normal soon @catlharper â€ !!! Being sick is no fun at al!! 

We had one order last week for a birthday cake and cupcakes (hopefully it posts).i was really disappointed in the writing on the banner I'm still a work in progress my nerves get the best of me still sometimes  

@SweetShop5 â€ I find cookies super relaxing too. I can be as particular as I want to be. They are a wonderful outlet to clear my head and zone out which is rare for me. I'm excited we have an order for beach themed cookies this weekend so I get to do some myself. I've not mastered flooded cookies like you have so I'm glad the customer requested buttercream :) 

56afb2953040b.jpeg

SweetShop5 Posted 2 Feb 2016 , 2:26am
post #20 of 23

@Webake2gether ‍ Agreed! I have never decorated sugar cookies with buttercream before, but I'm sure it's just as relaxing! I have no mastered icing cakes in buttercream, and it seems like you're VERY good at that! We each have our own talents relaxed.png Great job on the cake and cupcakes!

Webake2gether Posted 2 Feb 2016 , 1:21pm
post #21 of 23

@SweetShop5 â€ thanks!!! It's actually my husband who does the trimming, stacking and icing so he's the one whose really good at that :)

our old method would require me to smooth the cakes out but now he has a pretty good method and it requires minimal smoothing. However buttercream whips our butts sometimes lol so we don't take the smooth cakes for granted. I do a lot of holiday themed cookies but I did these for a girls scout troop last year and thought they were fun. I think the hardest sugar cookies I've ever done was probably the crayon cookies lol took forever!!! What's the hardest flooded cookie you e ever done?

56b0ad4eaa77e.jpeg

SweetShop5 Posted 2 Feb 2016 , 2:40pm
post #22 of 23

@Webake2gether ‍ wow looks fantastic! They look very time consuming as well! So many colours!

Hmm as for the hardest I've done, it would probably be these Minion cookies and Minecraft cookies. The Minion cookies were just VERY time consuming since I had to constantly wait for one part to dry in order to continue the rest. As for the Minecraft ones, it was difficult to free hand those shapes, and trying to get perfect rectangles and squares lol

RpLLbCn24K-minion-sugar-cookies_900.jpgTIRk86n606-minecraft-sugar-cookies_900.jpg

I have a question regarding buttercream cookies, how are you able to stack them on each other? Do they crust really hard? I feel like they would be so delicate that you wouldn't be able to stack them in a box for a client.

Webake2gether Posted 2 Feb 2016 , 3:27pm
post #23 of 23

I can stack them to an extent once they crust the buttercream doesn't really budge much but when you bite into them the icing is still soft. I can definitely see how those could be time consuming!! I don't think I would have any hair left after those lol. When I have multiple colors like that I just set all the cookies out and pipe all of one color and create an assembly line and it goes fairly quickly. These flooded cookies about killed me it took me FOREVER to do them. They are my third attempt at flooded cookies. Simple apperances  are so much more complicated sometimes lol. It would be so fun to have a cake central day sort of like a scrapbooking day. A convention maybe is a better term. 

56b0cad1665cc.jpegThis was the picture the customer posted on our page :) 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%