Fondant Over Cold Buttercream To Be Stored At Room Temp For Two Days?

Decorating By KatherineW Updated 14 Feb 2016 , 3:53am by nadiacorallo

KatherineW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatherineW Posted 29 Jan 2016 , 12:13am
post #1 of 5

Hello There!

I am making my first wedding cake for my Mom's second wedding and I have read so many of the forums about fondant and the fridge and I feel very confused.

Let me explain my situation: Today is Thursday Evening and I have two separate (unstacked) tiers of cake frosted in buttercream in my fridge. The wedding is Saturday at 2pm. What I am planning to do is take the cold buttercream frosted cakes and cover them in MMF and stack them, decorate and leave at room temperature for 1 1/2 days until the wedding.

Is this an okay idea? Nothing in the cake needs to be refrigerated, (I used a eggless lemon curd as filling).

Also will the cold buttercream mess up the warm fondant as it comes to room temp? Should I let the buttercream come to room temp before I cover it in fondant?

I have room in my home fridge for a cake but no way to get a cake box to absorb the Moisture and protect the fondant. One tier will be colored champagne and I am afraid it will sweat onto the white tier below in the fridge? Am I on the track to success? Or failure? Please help

4 replies
nadiacorallo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nadiacorallo Posted 29 Jan 2016 , 3:41am
post #2 of 5

Okay I'll give you my two cents, but I'm curious so see what others suggest as well. I'm not sure what kind of buttercream you're using but some  butter creams tend to soften alot at room temperature. I have always covered my cakes with fodant when the cake has been well chilled in the fridge, and the buttercream is stiff. Otherwise it would be near impossible to get smooth edges. From my experience, when u take a chilled cake out of the fridge and cover in fondant, the cake begins to condensate, and can sometimes get pretty wet but it ends up drying out in an hour or so from air drying.

As for leaving the cake out at room temp. For a day and a half. I don't see any major issues with that, but keeping it in the fridge definitely keeps things firmer and stiffer, which is important during transportation.

One thing I do when storing tiered cakes in the fridge is I grab 2 boxes of the same size and assemble them together but with the long flap opposite each other and then bring the flaps up so that they meet as a sort of tent. This gives you the extra height needed. Then you tape them together and wrap the whole boxnin seran wrap. That'll keep any condensation and odd smells out! Not sure if that made sense, kinda hard to explain!

I've never really had my cakes sweat while in the fridge, even without a box and keeping them in for 2 days. But it depends on the fridge. The fridges we have at work always cause the cakes to sweat! But the box and seran method always works to prevent that!

Hope I was able to help a bit ..

KatherineW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatherineW Posted 14 Feb 2016 , 12:45am
post #3 of 5

Thank you for all your help Nadia Corallo!

I put my cake in the fridge the whole time until the wedding and didn't have any condensation on the fondant.

I didnt use a cake box but, I had great results. I am very happy with how it turned out. It was for a country themed  wedding. This was my first time layering a cake, stacking tiers, and my first time making a wedding cake. Here is my finished product:

[postimage id="2490" thumb="900"]

DanaNZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DanaNZ Posted 14 Feb 2016 , 2:13am
post #4 of 5

Love the wood tone.  Is there a tutorial for that?

nadiacorallo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nadiacorallo Posted 14 Feb 2016 , 3:53am
post #5 of 5

Wow very nice! Good job! Love the wooden tier and the burlap flowers. How did you do the wood pattern so realistically??

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%