Carving A 3D Character Bust Cake. (Neck And Shoulders Cake Only) How Do I Board Between Layers And Carve?

Decorating By JessicaT Updated 29 Jan 2016 , 2:50pm by JessicaT

JessicaT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JessicaT Posted 28 Jan 2016 , 5:24pm
post #1 of 4

I am attempting a 3D bust cake of a character. Carving the neck and shoulders out look fairly simple, my question is ......I am probably gonna have 4 to 5 layers of cake in the neck and shoulders. Do I place a cake board every 2 layers? if so, how do I do this and carve?      

3 replies
nadiacorallo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nadiacorallo Posted 29 Jan 2016 , 2:17pm
post #2 of 4

Before stacking, cut the cakes as close the the final shape as possible. Ie. The  neck part smaller than the shoulders. The board in between will need to be about an inch smaller in diameter than the cake to give you the room to carve. You'll be putting dowels?

JessicaT Posted 29 Jan 2016 , 2:50pm
post #3 of 4

it was gonna have one center dowel fixed to base board then once stacked i was gonna place one dowel down thru each shoulder area.         if i need to place a board every two layers then i will have to dowel under the boards for support.     it always looks on tv showes and on other bust tutorials they just stack and carve.   no boards or dowels other than the one main dowel thru the center.   so  I was really unsure.      thanks for answering !! if you have any other advise I would greatly appreciate it      thanks again!

JessicaT Posted 29 Jan 2016 , 2:50pm
post #4 of 4

it was gonna have one center dowel fixed to base board then once stacked i was gonna place one dowel down thru each shoulder area.         if i need to place a board every two layers then i will have to dowel under the boards for support.     it always looks on tv showes and on other bust tutorials they just stack and carve.   no boards or dowels other than the one main dowel thru the center.   so  I was really unsure.      thanks for answering !! if you have any other advise I would greatly appreciate it      thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%