Russian Piping Tips - Opinions?

Decorating By theresaf Updated 11 Feb 2017 , 4:51am by 4theloveofcookies

theresaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theresaf Posted 28 Jan 2016 , 3:43pm
post #1 of 81

All this hub bub about the Russian piping tips.  There's big ones and small ones and 7 piece sets and 15 piece sets. Long shipping delays or overnight on Amazon.   Anyone using them and what do you like?  I'd like to experiment and hoping for your input!  I'm thinking maybe on cupcakes or borders on the bottom edge of cakes? idk!

Thank you!!

kissing_heart.png

T

80 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 28 Jan 2016 , 5:19pm
post #2 of 81

I haven't used them, but it seems to me that you'd have to have the icing consistency exactly right, and use them in a very specific manner to get a good result. I predict a lot of sad-looking lumps of icing on cakes coming soon if everyone's getting them.

theresaf Posted 28 Jan 2016 , 5:54pm
post #3 of 81

It sure looks like the opportunity for a blobby mess.

Kinda like when I fight with the cookie gun  - no matter how many times I try or no matter how many times I buy a new one - the cookie gun and I are not friends! Grrr - I've stopped trying!  My solution - different kinds of cookies !

T

magicjulie1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
magicjulie1 Posted 4 Feb 2016 , 5:23am
post #4 of 81

I have them. I am going to use them tomorrow for the first time. I do know it does have to be stiff icing. And also I have two sets of them . One my hubby bought for me on ebay and one set I bought for myself on Amazon.  The ones from amazon are way bigger than the eBay ones.  I had to go and but the ateco large tip holder to fit them which is why I have waited to use them even though I had them for over a week. I did try the eBay ones a little.  They fit on the wilton large coupler. Didn't work very well. Hopefully will have better results from the set on Amazon.  

GeminiKim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiKim Posted 30 Mar 2016 , 11:51pm
post #5 of 81

I was wondering about the size - if there was a bigger and smaller version and how do I know what I am ordering.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 31 Mar 2016 , 1:24am
post #6 of 81

Based on the lack of cakes I've seen with the squirt flowers on them, I think they must be more difficult to use than they're letting on. ;) If they were super easy people would be posting photos left and right, but I haven't seen that many.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 31 Mar 2016 , 3:11am
post #7 of 81

the flowers look best on cuppies, and @theresaf ‍ when you try pressed cookies again look at this

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002T4Z8W/?tag=cakecentral-20

expensive yes, and worth every penny.  you can choose the thickness for your cookies and thick works best.

theresaf Posted 31 Mar 2016 , 3:36am
post #8 of 81

Thanks Mbalaska

carolinecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carolinecakes Posted 31 Mar 2016 , 5:24pm
post #9 of 81

I was curious about these too. Found this from Cake Style doing her own test.

jselle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jselle Posted 31 Mar 2016 , 5:34pm
post #10 of 81

I bought an inexpensive set off eBay. They shipped from China, so I expected a long wait. However, they arrived within a week of my placing the order. They are quite large, but I used them without couplers. I got the hang of using them very quickly and used the same buttercream that I use to frost cakes. I learned that for the rose tips, the buttercream needed to be stiffer, but for the remainder of the flowers it worked great. 

[postimage id="3435" thumb="900"]

SweetShop5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetShop5 Posted 31 Mar 2016 , 6:02pm
post #11 of 81

@jselle ‍ WOW! That's a stunning cake! I think I'm going to order myself those tips now.

jselle Posted 31 Mar 2016 , 11:16pm
post #12 of 81

Good luck -- I am in love with them! I hope you like them as much as I like mine.

qchau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
qchau Posted 7 Apr 2016 , 12:47am
post #13 of 81

Jselle: so were the eBay ones you got really small compared to the Amazon ones as mentioned above by someone? Please advise thanks so much. Your cake is absolutely gorgeous!!

jselle Posted 7 Apr 2016 , 12:52am
post #14 of 81

The tips are quite large, even bigger than Wilton jumbo tips. I'm not sure how they compare in size to tips purchased on Amazon. The flat bottom of the tip (where the holes are cut) is probably about the size of a nickel, if that helps at all. I know some people don't care for them, but I think they are great.

qchau Posted 7 Apr 2016 , 12:56am
post #15 of 81

Jselle: so were the eBay ones you got really small compared to the Amazon ones as mentioned above by someone? Please advise thanks so much. Your cake is absolutely gorgeous!!

qchau Posted 7 Apr 2016 , 12:57am
post #16 of 81

Quote by @jselle on 6 days ago

Good luck -- I am in love with them! I hope you like them as much as I like mine.

Jselle: so were the eBay ones you got really small compared to the Amazon ones as mentioned above by someone? Please advise thanks so much. Your cake is absolutely gorgeous!!

gmsotto Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gmsotto Posted 7 Apr 2016 , 1:46am
post #17 of 81

Beautiful cake! Have you done any more cakes with these tips that you'd like to share?

jselle Posted 7 Apr 2016 , 1:54am
post #18 of 81

Not yet, but I'll be doing one this weekend and will post a photo.

jselle Posted 7 Apr 2016 , 2:02am
post #19 of 81

I did find this one  it was my first attempt at using these tips. Not perfect, but I got the hang of the technique quickly.

[postimage id="3479" thumb="900"]

jselle Posted 9 Apr 2016 , 6:23pm
post #20 of 81

[postimage id="3505" thumb="900"]

Just finished this one in warm spring colors.

theresaf Posted 9 Apr 2016 , 7:55pm
post #21 of 81

Verrrry pretty!  I just ordered a set thru Amazon   - I finally gave in after going back n forth on it  

thanks for sharing your photos!

T

theresaf Posted 11 Apr 2016 , 8:25pm
post #22 of 81

Those cakes are really nice - thanks for sharing them!  I finally gave in and ordered them myself yesterday.  tap tap  waiting...   Anyway I tried to post this 2 days ago and mentioned where I was getting them from (others have said it above) but somehow my post was held for moderation...

Anyway, thank you all for contributing to my question!

xo

T

woozy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
woozy Posted 29 May 2016 , 12:37am
post #23 of 81

I figured out one thing, at least. Some of the ebay tips are not one piece. You can see that the disk is spot-welded to the cone. Not good.

I looked at the Tangchu on Amazon, and they are clearly one piece. But I don't want the giant ones, the flowers look  gloppy. Another common brand is Delidge.  Big, or small?

Maybe our hive brain can figure out the best deals. 

SweetShop5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetShop5 Posted 29 May 2016 , 1:38am
post #24 of 81

Bought mine on Ebay and they came 2 weeks ago :) I quickly tried them out on some cupcakes and I love them! The tips were great quality as well, very sturdy.

900_flower-cupcakes-using-russian-tips-937512leDl9.jpg

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 29 May 2016 , 5:06am
post #25 of 81

@jselle ‍ I love the way you used them as a border on the cake!

Janine D Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janine D Posted 29 May 2016 , 5:25am
post #26 of 81

I bought all of them and LOVE it! Not hard to use at all 

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 29 May 2016 , 5:34am
post #27 of 81

I am not a fan. I just don't like the way they look.

jselle Posted 29 May 2016 , 4:04pm
post #28 of 81

For those wondering about the size of the Russian tips, here's a photo. The tip on the left is a Wilton #15. The tip on the right is a Wilton 2D. The Russian tip in the center measures just shy of one inch across on the flat end where the cutouts are.

[postimage id="4027" thumb="900"]

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 29 May 2016 , 4:27pm
post #29 of 81

I think they're prettiest when two colors are loaded in the bag. Add the green leaves and gorgeous!

[postimage id="4028" thumb="900"]

Mammadukes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mammadukes Posted 29 May 2016 , 6:06pm
post #30 of 81

My son got me a set from eBay not very expensive at all with quick delivery too for mothers day I just tried the rose one yesterday on mini cupcakes and I love them I thought it was going to be hard to get use to  but not at all and I love the look

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%