Wasc Using Bc Is Sinking In The Middle! Please Help

Baking By littlebsbakery Updated 31 Jan 2016 , 6:16am by kakeladi

littlebsbakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlebsbakery Posted 28 Jan 2016 , 2:24am
post #1 of 16

So I have searched and searched on here to try and find a answer to my question but after about a hour of looking I am now asking!! I have just started to use the WASC recipe by kakeladi using BC cake mix and it is so delicious that I will not stop using it! The only problem is my cakes are sinking in the middle, they are completely done just a huge hole right in the middle! I use the recipe to a T but I know that BC did change the size of there mixes a long time ago and was wondering if there is a new recipe for the smaller mixes. How much less of everything should I use? Should I add baking powder? Please someone guide me lol!!!!

15 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 28 Jan 2016 , 5:05am
post #2 of 16

What size/shape cakes are you baking.  Are you following the baking directions also (baking at 300 degrees)?  And when you describe it as a "huge hole" exactly how big is it I mean like 1" in diameter or more like 3" or something less?  Does the hole develop after the cake is taken out of the oven or while baking?  It's been about a year since I baked a cake so if the mixes have changed any in that time I am not aware of it.

Yes, a few others have mentioned hav ing that problem - I believe it occurs mostly (only?) with choco mixes.  Seems to me it was solved by reducing the extra 1C of sugar down to 2/3rds cup.   I have used the recipe EXACTLY as given with the new sized mixes with good results.  Do NOT add baking powder.  The only thing to reduce would be the sugar.  Have you taken time to read ALL the replies to the recipe?  There are many ?s answered and others tell of their problems/successes.

One other possibility could be your oven is not exactly at temp.   Have you ever had it checked?  It's called calibrating and can be done by either the electric or gas companies - usually for free.  Otherwise a good appliance repairman will do it.  To get a really true reading this calibrating takes several hours - or at least it did when my ex was a repairman.

Debbie45628 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debbie45628 Posted 28 Jan 2016 , 6:38am
post #3 of 16

If you google the Cake Boss' white velvet wedding cake recipe, it has you add 3/4 cup more mix (from a 2nd box) as well as 1 cup cake flour and 1 cup sugar and perhaps a few other things, but I think no baking powder..I made this yesterday and realized the similarities between these recipes...mine didn't sink in middle using a BC mix...hope this helps

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 28 Jan 2016 , 10:34am
post #4 of 16

my suggestion for you to kakeladi's classic widely used beloved formula is to use self rising flour and delete the addition of the salt -- also i begin baking at 350 then turn it down near the end of baking if necessary -- oh and i often put a foil tent over the cake at the end of baking and leave it on after removing from oven for 10 minutes or so

be sure to not overfill the cake pans

best baking to you

littlebsbakery Posted 28 Jan 2016 , 2:18pm
post #5 of 16

Thank you kakeladi! I did read basically every forum about this issue and I just wanted to make sure reducing the sugar was the only way to go. My oven is to temp, but I am thinking about getting it calibrated just to make sure. I am going to try reducing the sugar! If this doesn't work I will try adding more mix, even though it's a pain lol. And then of that doesn't work I will move onto using self rising flour and a foil tent and basically anything else I can possibly think of. Kakeladi your recipie is by far the best tasting cake I have ever had!!!! Thank you all so much for your input I will report back with the results! 

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 29 Jan 2016 , 12:11am
post #6 of 16

The original recipe is for boxes that weighed 18.25 oz.  The boxes now weigh 15.25 oz.  You really must add an extra 3 oz. of mix for every box of mix used in the recipe.  I do that with BC mixes and have no problems at all.

kakeladi Posted 29 Jan 2016 , 5:30pm
post #7 of 16

Quote by @maybenot on 17 hours ago

The original recipe is for boxes that weighed 18.25 oz.  The boxes now weigh 15.25 oz.  You really must add an extra 3 oz. of mix for every box of mix used in the recipe. 

I have used the smaller new weight mixes *without* adding any extra mix and not had problems with it.   

If you will take the time to read the  entire recipe post including ALL the replies you will see where this has been addressed.

littlebsbakery Posted 30 Jan 2016 , 12:21am
post #8 of 16

Omg!!!! Reducing the sugar to 2/3 and using the bake even strips worked like a charm!!! Thank you all so very very much!!! I couldn't be happier right now! 

littlebsbakery Posted 30 Jan 2016 , 12:22am
post #9 of 16

I forgot to add I did add the sugar at the end! I read that on a thread as well!!! 

Debbie45628 Posted 30 Jan 2016 , 1:56am
post #10 of 16

littlebsbakery, did you mean to reduce the sugar and then add the remainder after the initial mixing?  Where can I read these changes that everyone is talking about?  TY

littlebsbakery Posted 30 Jan 2016 , 2:06am
post #11 of 16

All you do is reduce the sugar 2/3 cups and add it at the end works like a charm!

Debbie45628 Posted 30 Jan 2016 , 4:49am
post #12 of 16

I will try that next time....Thanks

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 30 Jan 2016 , 7:04pm
post #13 of 16

Obviously we all have our own ways to mitigate the effects of the now smaller mixes, but another reason that I use the "add 3 oz. of extra mix for every box of mix used" is because I have found that without doing that, my cakes are not as high/full as I'd like them. 

3oz. may just be 1/6th of the original sizes, but I've found that it makes a big difference in the height of a cake--and the larger the tier, the more obvious it becomes.  I like to level my cakes in the pan, whenever possible, so I want the layer to come as far up the sides of the pan as possible--and I don't like the texture of the sides of cakes when I collar the pans with parchment.

I don't think it's been mentioned above, but I also use heating core nails by Ateco in the center of all of my layers and I also finds that that helps a lot in not having sunken middles.

veghed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veghed Posted 30 Jan 2016 , 11:20pm
post #14 of 16

I did a search for this recipe and found it.  But I cannot see any replies.

Would someone mind linking it for me?  (Or telling me what I am doing wrong?)

veghed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veghed Posted 31 Jan 2016 , 5:40am
post #15 of 16

^Nevermind.  I found it.  Evidently, the recipe is in two different places.

kakeladi Posted 31 Jan 2016 , 6:16am
post #16 of 16

veghed you are right........there are 2 posts of the recipe since the revamp of the site :(  and one has the replies, the other does not.   Sorry I forget to link to the right one but glad to see you found it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%