How Do I Keep Cut Out Fondant Soft?

Sugar Work By CorrieCakes Updated 5 Feb 2016 , 2:40am by Pastrybaglady

CorrieCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CorrieCakes Posted 27 Jan 2016 , 2:42pm
post #1 of 10

Sorry if this has been asked before, I can't quite find what I'm looking for....

I need to roll out coloured fondant (maybe 1/4 or 1/8 inch thick) and cut star shapes that I'm hoping to stick round the sides of a round cake.

I need to make them about 10 days in advance of making the cake so I need them to stay soft enough that they will bend round the side of the cake when the time comes.

Anything I have tried so far with plastic wrap or bags hasn't worked and the fondant has dried and isn't pliable anymore.

Is there something I can mix in with the fondant? or another storage method?

I'd be so grateful for any advice.

Thank you

9 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 27 Jan 2016 , 4:16pm
post #2 of 10

what about if you dried them in the shape you needed -- for example if you want to place them on the side of a 9" round cake -- dry them on the side of the 9" pan -- set the pan on it's side closed in a drawer to hold it steady but still sticking up out of it -- dust with cornstarch so it doesn't stick -- or use a styrofoam dummy if you have them --

or if it's an irregular shape just make a mold out of whatever you can find to mimic that shape --

i've stored cut outs for a few hours maybe a day in plastic but that's about all --

best to you

LizzieAylett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LizzieAylett Posted 28 Jan 2016 , 5:28pm
post #3 of 10

Does it have to be fondant?  If not, you could make them out of modelling chocolate and they would still be pliable (with a little application of a warm hand) whenever you need to use them.

Why do you need to make them so far in advance?  Perhaps we can come up with another workaround if modelling choc is not an option.

CorrieCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CorrieCakes Posted 28 Jan 2016 , 8:53pm
post #4 of 10

Hi,

Thank you both for your replies,

K8memphis - thats a great suggestion which I may do, but I'm unfortunately at the mercy of what sized premade cake is available when I come to buy it (it will cost too much to have cakes made to my spec as Im making 2 x 2 tiered cakes).

The problem I have is that I have a newborn baby (feeding every 2 hours!) which is why Im only decorating and not baking the cake.

My sister is visiting from Australia for 10 days with the party the day before she leaves, I wont be able to spend any time making decorations while she's here. I plan to buy the cake nearer to the party date and add the decorations.

The 2 cakes are for our 3 yr old sons, the plan was to make brightly coloured cakes so I would prefer not to use chocolate LizzieAylett

Sorry for the long reply, I hope that helps to explain.

The 2 tier space cake is similar to what I'd like to create (x2)

http://thecakeblog.com/2012/02/outer-space-birthday.html

LizzieAylett Posted 28 Jan 2016 , 9:13pm
post #5 of 10

You can use candy melts to make modelling "chocolate", so it can be any colour you want.  Make up a batch using white candy melts and then colour it as required.  You could use white chocolate, but that would give the colours a bit of a yellow-er hue.

LizzieAylett Posted 28 Jan 2016 , 9:14pm
post #6 of 10

This is a good site about modelling chocolate:

http://www.wickedgoodies.net/modeling-chocolate/

Rohini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rohini Posted 28 Jan 2016 , 9:45pm
post #7 of 10

Hi!

I needed to do this very same thing last week although in my case it was 2d My Little Pony fondant cutouts. I found an old post on CC that said that you can freeze fondant decorations on a cake board inside a plastic bag and then let them thaw for about 20 mins (until they were no longer sticky to the touch) before attaching them to the cake. This way they were still pliable and could be made before hand.

It worked like a charm!! I don't think I waited quite 20 mins for them to thaw, only just until they could be handled. I also kept a close eye on them while thawing so that they did not get too hard and dry in room temperature. I did take them out of the plastic bag as they thawed as well. I was able to paste the fondant cutouts around the sides of my 20 cm round cake without any problems! 

Thank goodness for CC  :) This has helped me immensely and opened up a whole lot of possibilities. Hope it helps you too :)

Cheers!

*Last edited by Rohini on 28 Jan 2016 , 9:49pm
Rohini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rohini Posted 28 Jan 2016 , 9:50pm
post #8 of 10

Oops... that should have been 'longer' and NOT 'linger' :) Tried editing the post, but for some strange reason the changes don't get saved. Tried a couple of time and then gave up!

Jackie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jackie Posted 4 Feb 2016 , 8:19pm
post #9 of 10

Just letting you all know this post has been restored after accidental deletion

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 5 Feb 2016 , 2:40am
post #10 of 10

@CorrieCakes ‍ Is it too late?  This is the first time I'm seeing this post after the deletion.  If you add a little glycerin to the fondant it will stay soft indefinitely.  I added some to a batch to see what it would do.  It made the fondant very soft and stretchy.  Great for covering cakes or like what you want to do but awful for modeling!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%