Fillings

Decorating By jessica.n Updated 28 Jan 2016 , 12:45am by jessica.n

jessica.n Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessica.n Posted 27 Jan 2016 , 9:26am
post #1 of 9

Hi guys,

I am struggling a bit with a filling for a black forest cake that is to be covered in fondant. 

Im kind of new to cake decorating and would love and tips or tricks, ive been asked to make the cake as black forest, normally i would be finebbut they want it asna mud cale if possible. After a few failed attempts im hoping someone can help me! 

I feel like maybe the cherry filling is a bit saucy which is causing it to be slippery and i am also finding the cream is to weak to hold a mud cake ive tried a mocha cream as well a version of italian meringue butter cream, (ive noticed every recipe is different) ... maybe im not letting it set enough before stacking? Can someone walk me through this one?

Thanks in advance ☺

8 replies
Nana52 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nana52 Posted 27 Jan 2016 , 11:12am
post #2 of 9

Try adding some gelatin to the cherry filling.  Let the filling set up in the refrigerator for a bit to stiffen before using it on your cake layer.  After applying to the cake layer, refrigerate the cake until stiff enough to hold the next layer of cake.  I love SMBC and IMBC, those are my usual choices.  Unfortunately, as you say, they are "soft."  You may need to resort to a stiff American Buttercream to support a heavy cake.  Nana52

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 27 Jan 2016 , 4:38pm
post #3 of 9

whipped cream will turn to butter if whipped too long right -- so be sure you are whipping it to just before it turns to butter -- when cold it will hold very well for you -- but if it is under whipped it is a disaster --

what about using cherry preserves or adding cornstarch to your cherry filling if you are cooking it yourself -- canned cherry pie filling is pretty loose -- if you use that ccpf then major on the cherries and remove a bunch of the sauce so the cake has something to grab onto --

mud cake should do well if you torte it into several layers -- don't forget the kirsch or some kind of booze --

you'll have to keep this cake well refrigerated --

i always use a swiss meringue dam for my cream & fruit  filled cakes so that's what touches the fondant -- i've read on here that whipped cream dissolves the fondant but idk that first hand (maybe it is under whipped idk) -- and if it is a large cake and you use the swissbc pipe a blob in the center of each layer before filling to act as a little glue there --

also you could consider using some well placed bamboo skewers aka shish-ka-bob sticks with the pointy end stuck down into the board for a little stability --

best to you

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 27 Jan 2016 , 5:32pm
post #4 of 9

Okay...let's not discus that this is NOT a black forest cake and come to your issue...lol.

I add gelatine to my whipped cream to stabilise it. Best ist to stack the cake in the cake tin with the quick release ring closed so nothing can slip and slide before the cream has set. For the filling you use either morello cherries from the glass or real "sour" cherries (without stone). Drain any liquid if using the ones in the glass, add cornstarch and cook liquid down in a pot until thick. Quickly spread on each layer and add cherries and cream. 

A black forest cake is NEVER covered in fondant btw. 

-K8memphis Posted 27 Jan 2016 , 5:39pm
post #5 of 9

julia -- i know me too -- i started out on my bandwagon of this being a chocolate cherry cake rather than a black forest but...deleted it all -- oh well :)

-K8memphis Posted 27 Jan 2016 , 5:42pm
post #6 of 9

y'know in a lot of savory cooking they do 'deconstructed' this or that -- i think we should start using the term 'reconstructed black forest' or something...

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 27 Jan 2016 , 5:51pm
post #7 of 9

Lol...I agree! 

Probably it's only me but if I hear someone is covering up a gorgeous black forest cake under fondant and fills it with imbc and stI'll clairs its a black forest cake...Idk. It's like serving a chocolate doughnut with a slice of bacon in the middle and a tomate stuck in the hole....hahaha! Guess the American community here wouldn't agree either eh?

No bad feelings @jessica.n ‍ ...just me being silly here!

-K8memphis Posted 27 Jan 2016 , 6:25pm
post #8 of 9

i'm american and i like the classics and there are a healthy amount of variations from country to country but at some point it does cross a line so it can be 'reconstructed'

ghost.png the ghost of black forest past

but if your client wants what they want then you make it for them -- but i hate that you've had to invest so much to get it to this point -- but that is also why a black forest is a certain way -- it's just fluffier but if you hold things up well with refrigeration and cornstarch and/or preserves you should have a good product --

or you could make your mud cake -- torte off about a one third layer of cake off the top -- dig out a small channel in the remaining cake and fill it with cherries and whipped cream -- using swissbc or ganache ice the edges of the bottom tunnel so the next layer sticks on -- plop on the top then ice with smbc then fondant -- now there's a good reconstruction that will certainly work first time -- 

bam!

jessica.n Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessica.n Posted 28 Jan 2016 , 12:45am
post #9 of 9

I know, I know!!! Not a Black Forest but I figured it was easiest to explain that way I make my own cherry filling so maybe I try adding gelatine to that and it might set up easier. Thank you all for the advice I will try with a new batch of cream. The problem I have with the cream though is once it goes into the fridge it sweats, I don't have a spare fridge to turn right down low unfortunately. Maybe it's best I stick with American buttercream. 

As I said I'm new to all of this and it's going to be a massive challenge but I'm sure I will work it out.

thanks again.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%