Baking From Scratch

Baking By SweetieQs5 Updated 25 Jan 2016 , 2:23pm by Narie

SweetieQs5 Posted 24 Jan 2016 , 3:17pm
post #1 of 6

HELLLPP!! I need to know why my cakes and cupcakes aren't coming out so delightful when baking them from scratch, it's only my second time trying to make a vanilla cake/ cupcakes..not sure if it's the recipe but each time they've come out dry and bland..please help!!

5 replies
leah_s Posted 24 Jan 2016 , 7:14pm
post #2 of 6

sounds like:

1) you're overbaking (dry)

2) haven't hit the right recipe (bland)

SweetieQs5 Posted 25 Jan 2016 , 12:51pm
post #3 of 6

Thank you Leah_s! Would you happen to have a good recipe I could follow? Also do you know if it's better to bake with all purpose flour or cake flour?

-K8memphis Posted 25 Jan 2016 , 12:57pm
post #4 of 6

here's one

try sylvia weinstock's yellow cake recipe -- she has two you want the one with the sour cream i'll post a link -- then add an extra quarter cup of flour and then i just add the eggs whole -- the recipe suggests to separate and whip  the yolks & whites but i just add them one at a time into the well creamed sugar and butter -- be sure you stretch the eggs out well and make a nice smooth emulsion -- you can eliminate 2 or 3 of the yolks for a whiter result --

i don't use the highest speeds on my mixers for cake batter but use about  5 on a stand mixer -- then after the last flour is added i beat it (on speed 5) for two minutes and it's ready -- watch it carefully in the oven -- avoid over baking --

if you have a stand mixer use cold butter -- cut it into small pieces and beat it nicely with the sugar -- add the eggs as I stated above -- put in your vanilla -- divide powdered ingredients into thirds -- put one portion into creamed mixture combine on low -- put in half the sour cream combine -- add another portion of dry, sour cream, dry -- combining well after each addition -- scrape down the bowl -- beat on speed 4 or 5 for two minutes -- bam

and use the real cake flour and real butter -- you got this -- can't miss -- it will not get real brown on top-- just springs back -- test one in your oven first and time how long to bake -- don't over bake and these will be fantastic -- but don't refrigerate the baked cakes --

here's the link for the cake recipe

SweetieQs5 Posted 25 Jan 2016 , 1:20pm
post #5 of 6

Thank you so much! I'm just starting this journey on baking from scratch..I'm more of a cake decorator than a baker..relaxed.pngso I've been using the boxes..I just want my cakes to taste as good as they look.. And it's cheaper to bake from scratch buying cake boxes can get thanks again..

Narie Posted 25 Jan 2016 , 2:23pm
post #6 of 6

Cheaper to bake from scratch???  that is definitely an unusual reason to bake from scratch.   Check this out

Quote by @%username% on %date%