Cancelling Due To Illness.

Business By mariak Updated 24 Jan 2016 , 6:28pm by figueroa33

mariak Posted 23 Jan 2016 , 4:42am
post #1 of 16

I took a cake order a month ago and now, a week before it is due I have been put on bed rest due to problems with my pregnancy. There is no way I will be able to make this cake. I don't know any other baker that could fill this order and I really don't know what to do. Have any of you been in this situation?

15 replies
810whitechoc Posted 23 Jan 2016 , 7:51am
post #2 of 16

Are there no bakers in your area at all?  Even if you don't know them are you able to call around and see if anybody is able to take this order.  It may cost you money if their rates are higher than yours, but if you are intending to work in the longer term, it is worth taking care of your reputation.

If you are not comfortable doing this, can you get a list of other bakers and their contact numbers together to give to your customer. 

You must call your customer immediately and let them know what is going on.

While your pregnancy and the health or you and your baby is the most important thing here, the event the cake is for is important to them.  Let them know asap so they can make other arrangements.

mariak Posted 23 Jan 2016 , 4:01pm
post #3 of 16

I did just try to contact a few of the bakers that I thought would be able to make the cake that they wanted and they are all booked. Part of me just wants to make the cake anyway because I feel like I can't leave this customer with no cake but my husband won't let me. It isn't a small cake either. It would take me about 5 hours to do because it has a lot of fondant work.

-K8memphis Posted 23 Jan 2016 , 4:55pm
post #4 of 16

look, there's a good reason you're on bed rest -- just call her and tell her you are on bed rest by doctor's orders for the health of yourself and your baby and blablabla -- this will not impact your reputation -- your reputation is the least of your concerns -- you tried to find a replacement ok cool -- didn't work -- no problem -- you just have to cancel the cake -- 

i mean consider the ramifications otherwise omg -- just call her and tell her now -- it's ok -- stuff happens -- call -- done -- you have a responsibility to your husband, yourself and your baby -- screw the stupid cake -- it's not any kind of worthy of any more of your energy -- i can diplomatically call for you if it's too hard -- i understand the hormone thing -- or maybe your husband/good friend/relative could call for you -- call now asap -- do it --

and come back  and post a follow up, please

Jinkies Posted 23 Jan 2016 , 5:24pm
post #5 of 16

I 2nd what K8 said.  Your health and the health of your baby trump any old cake.  Tell her you tried to find another baker and, unfortunately, you could not but you are on Dr's orders. 

Congrats on your new little bundle!

-K8memphis Posted 23 Jan 2016 , 5:31pm
post #6 of 16

yes it's a bun in the oven not a cake :)

Webake2gether Posted 23 Jan 2016 , 5:44pm
post #7 of 16

I would call the client explain as much as you are comfortable with sharing with them tell them you've tried to find another baker and none were available tell them you greatly appreciate their business but unfortunately will not be able to make the cake for them. 

I was put on bed rest the last 2 weeks of my first pregnancy and I had to tell my boss at the time who is also my aunt that I was no longer able to work. I felt awful and she didn't take it well your client will probably be much more understanding trust me. My husband kept telling me you and the baby are more important than any job I still felt bad but he was right. I was so close to having preeclampsia I should have been off work long before then bc of the stress my job caused me. No job or cake is worth the possible risk of complications. Congrats on your pregnancy and hang in there I'm sure they won't end up without a cake :)

mariak Posted 23 Jan 2016 , 6:29pm
post #8 of 16

Thanks everyone for the encouragement! I did let the customer know the situation. I told them how bad I felt but that this was an unforseen situation and that I had tried to locate another baker. Because I felt so bad and they had been a previous customer,  I offered to give them 50% off a future order once I was doing better. They were less than thrilled unfortunately. They said it was a slap in the face and I should have offered to do a cake of the same value for free. The cake was almost 200 dollars. They didn't want me to reply back and basically said they would never use me again. I really feel horrible!!! I am such I people pleaser and this is killing me. I am trying to figure out a way so that this never happens again but even if I had an understanding with another baker they could still be booked. This is such a disaster!!

Webake2gether Posted 23 Jan 2016 , 6:57pm
post #9 of 16

Oh bummer!! Well I think you made the right decision and unfortunately some people only see what they want and need as important. Don't beat yourself up too bad. When people are upset they say things they shouldn't. It will hardly ruin your reputation and when your business you'll get a few bumps and bruises along the way. hang in there and keep your focus on the wonderful bundle of joy you'll soon be having!!

Jinkies Posted 23 Jan 2016 , 6:59pm
post #10 of 16

Are you serious!!!!  Screw her!  Brush it off girl.  You did the right thing, clearly.  Go relax and don't giver her the satisfaction of even thinking about her anymore. What a jerk!

I'm so mad right now...I'll be mad for you... put it out of your mind.

-K8memphis Posted 23 Jan 2016 , 7:00pm
post #11 of 16

their response is their problem -- why waste one nano second of your time/energy/life on little nasty people -- let them slip back down into the slimey/grimey part the gene pool where they belong -- 

your responsibility is to put it firmly behind you and hibernate with your baby and enjoy it -- people please your husband and baby now -- read and sing to your wee one

best to you 

mariak Posted 23 Jan 2016 , 7:04pm
post #12 of 16

Thanks everyone, you have made me feel a lot better about this. I was just second guessing myself about the situation, wondering if I had done everything i could have. Thanks for all you feedback!

Declansmama Posted 23 Jan 2016 , 10:56pm
post #13 of 16

I have in my contract under terms that cancelation may occur due to illness (not speaking of a small cold but serious illnesses beyond my control). 

All I have to say is you don't need a client who has no concern of your well being. 

Let it go. I know you feel horrible but there is nothing you can do to make them happy. I would not have offered 50% off let a lone 100% as they wanted. You were nice to offer what you did. It is all you can do is apologize and put it in your contract for next time :) 

costumeczar Posted 24 Jan 2016 , 1:02am
post #14 of 16

Seriously...If you told her that you had to be on bed rest due to your pregnancy and she said ANYTHING other than "You take care of yourself" she's a horrible human being and doesn't deserve a cake!

If you didn't tell her that it's because of your pregnancy I would write back and tell her that you're sorry she won't be using you anymore, but you're not willing to have a miscarriage so that she can have a frickin' cake.

810whitechoc Posted 24 Jan 2016 , 1:22pm
post #15 of 16

Wow I wasn't expecting that, I know I said their event is important to them but that is a ridiculous response.  You did the right thing to let them know and you did the best you could to find a replacement, and seriously they expect you to make them a cake for free????  Don't feel horrible, it is upsetting but try and get it into perspective, their response was unfeeling and uncaring.

figueroa33 Posted 24 Jan 2016 , 6:28pm
post #16 of 16

People can be very cruel. I remember for my prom I didn't know how to do hair and make up but my siter in law is a cosmetologist. Well she agreed to do my hair and make up. The day before my prom she miscarried and couldn't do it. I tried calling salons but they were all booked. So I curled my own hair and did my own make up as best I could and went to my prom. I never held it against her. I understood what she was going through was much bigger than my prom.

That being said not everyone is understanding or compassionate. I can understand her being a bit upset but the way she responded to you no one should ever talk to anyone like that. I hope the rest of your pregnancy goes well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%