Texture Mat

Decorating By pj22 Updated 4 Feb 2016 , 4:01pm by pj22

pj22 Posted 22 Jan 2016 , 8:01pm
post #1 of 7

Was wondering if anyone has made a wood bark texture mat on their own? Something like this - http://www.sugardelites.com/Bark-Texture-Mat-Large-By-Sugar-Delites_p_2695.html

I've made my own brooch molds, and was thinking if I get a large piece of bark and press that into the silicone and allow it to cure, will that work?

Always willing to experiment, but if someone on here has done this already, would appreciate any pointers :) Thank you!!

6 replies
640Cake Posted 22 Jan 2016 , 9:36pm
post #2 of 7

I did because I couldn't find a bark mold under $30.  You can get the bark look without a texture mat/mold, but I find it quicker to use my mold.  I found a nice large piece of bark with some interesting texture to it.  I used Amazing Mold Putty that I got at Michael's for half off ($22 full price).  You just combine the two ingredients and then press around your piece you want to mold.  With the bark being (mostly) flat, once I combined the two, I pressed it onto the bark and then quickly used a small rolling pin to flatten it out best I could.  It isn't really flat like a texture mat would be, but it does the trick for me.  I had to cut a bit off the sides, so I had a nice straight edge to line up each time I use it/press it.  I was really picky about my bark, too.  I wanted to make sure the bark wouldn't lift with the mold once it set, but it came off very nicely :)

*Last edited by 640Cake on 22 Jan 2016 , 9:36pm
costumeczar Posted 22 Jan 2016 , 10:16pm
post #3 of 7

I did the same thing as @640Cake ‍ but I pressed the mold putty onto a tree. :)

CatherineGeorge Posted 22 Jan 2016 , 11:02pm
post #4 of 7

So timely, I just did this! FYI if it's cold where you are, the putty took about three times longer to cure outside on the tree.

pj22 Posted 23 Jan 2016 , 1:28am
post #5 of 7

Amazing! Thank you!!! Just the info I needed :) I use the Amazing Mold putty too, and I am going for the look that CatherineGeorge has... it will look perfect when airbrushed and painted in brown!

So just mix the compound and paste it on a tree bark? How long should I leave the putty on the tree? Spread it in a rectangle or square form?

Thanks so much!

costumeczar Posted 23 Jan 2016 , 2:51am
post #6 of 7

You mix it up and you have about a 2 minute working time before it sets. The hard part is mixing it all in the time that you have to work with it, but if it's cold outside that will slow the time down and give you some extra time. I pressed it onto the tree in a rectangular shape because that's what you'll need to do to use it on a cake.

pj22 Posted 4 Feb 2016 , 4:01pm
post #7 of 7

That helps a lot!!! Thank you costumeczar :D :D 

Quote by @%username% on %date%