Can I Cut Out Cookies After They Have Baked?

Baking By octoberben123 Updated 22 Jan 2016 , 12:46pm by Britterfly

octoberben123 Posted 22 Jan 2016 , 1:23am
post #1 of 5

I have several hundred shaped cookies to bake using a cookie cutter.  I would love to be able to bake the round cookies first, wait a couple of minutes once they are out of the oven -- THEN use the cookie cutter on them.  But wondering if this could dry them out.  And suggestion for storing them until serving?

Please help!  thank you

4 replies
ypierce82 Posted 22 Jan 2016 , 1:44am
post #2 of 5

I would think that by doing it that way, you would take off the perfect edge on the cookie leaving rough and crumbly looking edges. 

Pastrybaglady Posted 22 Jan 2016 , 3:08am
post #3 of 5

Why do you want to do it that way?  It's twice as much work with a less than perfect look and a lot of waste.  The cookies might look jagged and possibly break when you cut them?

-K8memphis Posted 22 Jan 2016 , 12:30pm
post #4 of 5

you definitely want to cut out before baking as has been already advised -- what you can do is trim while the cookie is hot right out of the oven -- use a microplane to neaten edges or a nice sharp paring knife for taking out a chunk --

and of course i don't know what is prompting your inquiry  but you can cut out and freeze the dough or the baked cookie too if that might be a factor for you -- and you can make your own cookie cutters which is one of my favorite things -- tons of tutorials online for a google

best cookies and all things baking to you

Britterfly Posted 22 Jan 2016 , 12:42pm
post #5 of 5

When I first started making cookies, my cookies would spread out & lose their shape so I would re-cut them after they were baked which resulted in rough/jagged, crumbly edges. If you get a good recipe & you follow the instructions on keeping the cookie dough cold & use real butter, you shouldn't need to cut your cookies after they are baked.

Here is a really good YouTube video tutorial on making cut out sugar cookies...

*Last edited by Britterfly on 22 Jan 2016 , 12:46pm

Quote by @%username% on %date%