Having Problems With White Icing Colouring

Decorating By caitlin42 Updated 22 Jan 2016 , 3:22am by -K8memphis

caitlin42 Posted 21 Jan 2016 , 10:22pm
post #1 of 7

Hi there!

I've been using the Wilton gel icing colours for painting on fondant for awhile now, but I've been having a lot of problems with the White.

When I use it by itself or mix it with another colour it dries strangely on the fondant. It spreads out and the edges go fuzzy, and the texture never looks smooth, it is very patchy. 

Has anyone else had this problem, or have any idea how to fix it?

Thank you!!

6 replies
-K8memphis Posted 21 Jan 2016 , 11:29pm
post #2 of 7

yeah that stuff is weirdy weird weird -- it sounds as strange as it is titanium dioxide  -- yeah my remedy simply is don't use it -- food color is not really paint y'know and using as little as possible is the best route -- i think someone on here used masking tape to block off areas so those spots stay their original white then remove after painting all around -- you know what i mean i'm sure -- i wonder how wax would do for the same effect -- idk but it is just incorrigible

caitlin42 Posted 21 Jan 2016 , 11:37pm
post #3 of 7

Yeah I've been trying to avoid it, but unfortunately need it for mixing colours and doing writing, so can't use the tape or wax strategy :(

Ooooh could try using wax for general patterns though, thanks for the idea!

For my projects the amount I use isn't a factor, it's just the look I'm going for. I tend to stay away from normal food colouring since I can't actually paint with that, the gels work really well for it though I've found! Except for the white...

-K8memphis Posted 21 Jan 2016 , 11:44pm
post #4 of 7

what about trying a paste of ... something ... corn starch? that's my fix for everything -- add cornstarch hahahaha -- no but that won't help white food color -- but maybe what about flour & water? maybe try different starches/grains -- potato, tapioca, white rice etc -- idk just a stab in the dark

-K8memphis Posted 21 Jan 2016 , 11:46pm
post #5 of 7

hey i just made some of that flexible lace to use as white paint -- bet that would be great -- i got the sunnyside brand from hobby lobby $15 give or take but use a coupon  and it's maybe $9 -- now that's actually a good idea 

facepunch.png

*Last edited by -K8memphis on 21 Jan 2016 , 11:47pm
caitlin42 Posted 22 Jan 2016 , 12:30am
post #6 of 7

Oooh awesome!

Thank you so much I'll give those a try. I tried adding flour to the white colour and it sort of helped but not enough, so I'll give corn starch or the others a try!

-K8memphis Posted 22 Jan 2016 , 3:22am
post #7 of 7

yeah but no just ditch the titanium dioxide -- mix those items with just water -- and up thread i meant that I had just used the flexible lace as lace and that made me think of you using it as a paint-- i did not use it as a paint but it works like crazy in the molds no reason why it would not be great as a paint -- and if memory serves it does have td in the ingredient list

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%