Cookies And Cream Cake

Baking By gjserf Updated 28 Jan 2016 , 9:50pm by gjserf

gjserf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gjserf Posted 21 Jan 2016 , 8:30pm
post #1 of 4

Does anyone have a cookies and cream recipe? I've tried several and they are always just ok, not great . It also needs to be sturdy as it is a big cake.

thanks!

3 replies
craftybanana2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftybanana2 Posted 22 Jan 2016 , 12:48am
post #2 of 4

My cookies and cream cake is a chocolate cake with Oreos in the icing. I use 12 oreos per batch of buttercream (2lbs of powdered sugar)decorate with Oreos and a chocolate ganache drizzle. Oh, and the chocolate cake I use is a modified Hershey's Perfectly chocolate cake.I use either dark or regular cocoa powder, dark is always nice though. The original recipe is on the back of the Hershey's cocoa powder.

Modifications are:

1tsp of each leavening (instead of 1.5),

3/4 cup warm/hot coffee instead of water,

1 cup of sour cream in place of the milk

and I decrease the sugar to 1-3/4 cup because it's a bit too moist for me otherwise (sticky tops while rest of cake is done).

Edit: use any sturdy chocolate cake, Hershey's cake is kind of delicate.

*Last edited by craftybanana2 on 22 Jan 2016 , 12:49am
Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 22 Jan 2016 , 2:56am
post #3 of 4

Here's my Cookies 'n Creme cake.  It is quite sturdy and tiers/carves well.  Use your Kitchen Aid with the whisk attachment (not paddle) to prepare the batter.  A regular stand mixer can be used too if it's what you use.

COOKIES AND CRÈME CAKE

4 CUPS WHITE LILY AP FLOUR* (500g)                                    

1 1/2 TEASPOONS BAKING POWDER                                      

3/4 TEASPOON BAKING SODA                                   

3 CUPS SUGAR                                 

3/4 CUP SHORTENING                                  

2 TABLESPOONS OIL                                      

2 CUPS BUTTERMILK, ROOM TEMP                                         

4 LARGE EGGS, ROOM TEMP                                     

1 TABLESPOON VANILLA              

1 CUP FINELY CRUSHED OREO COOKIES

Preheat oven to 325 F.

Grease the bottoms of three 8 x 2 inch round pans, line with parchment, then grease and flour pans.

Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda and sugar into mixer bowl.  Whisk for about twenty second with the whip attachment to blend.

Add the shortening to the flour mixture (is break it up into small amounts as I add it so it doesn’t get stuck in the mixer’s whip) and mix on low speed until the mixture resembles fine crumbs.

Add the oil, buttermilk and vanilla and beat at medium speed for 2 minutes, scraping bowl as needed.

Continue beating another two minutes while adding the eggs one at a time and 10 seconds apart.  Scrape bowl as needed.

Stir in cookie crumbs and divide evenly between pans (I weigh mine, but you can just eye ball it).

Bake until cakes test done with a cake tester. 

Cool in pans 5 minutes, remove and wrap completely in plastic wrap until ready to use. 

This makes enough for three thick 8 inch layers.  I trim mine flat with an Agbay leveler to 1 ½ inched thick.

TO ASSEMBLE: I fill the layers with semi-sweet ganache, then ice in vanilla buttercream.

*White Lily is a brand of flour found here in the southern states made from soft winter wheat just like cake flour.  Regular AP flour works fine, but reduce the total amount to 3 ¾ cups.

*Last edited by Jeff_Arnett on 22 Jan 2016 , 2:57am
gjserf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gjserf Posted 28 Jan 2016 , 9:50pm
post #4 of 4

Thank you!  I am going to make this this weekend!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%