Is Banana Bread Firm Enough For A Heavy Fondant Cake Topper (Humpty Dumpty) ?

Baking By newbeeatcakes Updated 21 Jan 2016 , 1:53pm by -K8memphis

newbeeatcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newbeeatcakes Posted 21 Jan 2016 , 11:05am
post #1 of 4

Hi

I am making a Humpty Dumpty cake. The cake topper is quite heavy. Would Banana Bread hold the weight? As this is for kindergarten, I want to go for something healthy like Banana Bread. Also, how many days in advance can I bake the banana bread?

Thanks!

3 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 21 Jan 2016 , 12:20pm
post #2 of 4

maybe some bb recipes would hold up but most bbreads would squosh (squish squash squosh :) under fondant -- it's the nature of a quick bread to have a quick easy rise without a tremendous amount of structure -- super moist bread would tend to succumb to the weight -

but the topper should be dowelled like anything with weight -- make a little plate for it out of food safe cardboard -- cover it wth food safe foil -- and/or you can pipe over it too if you want or cover it with fondant -- and place dowel to hold it up -- this is where creative doweling comes in-- i would use bamboo skewers aka shishkabob sticks for this -- for sale at most larger grocery stores

-K8memphis Posted 21 Jan 2016 , 1:45pm
post #3 of 4

but you could apply the fondant to frozen bread and that would probably help prevent the squishing -- y'know then fridge it so it dries out a bit and holds -- that might work-- the fondant might condense so you'd have to work quickly -- that's one possible way --

why not just do a dummy cake and make little muffins for the little munchkins so much easier

-K8memphis Posted 21 Jan 2016 , 1:53pm
post #4 of 4

ok wait -- i'm pretty sure I misunderstood your post -- you just wanted know if a heavy topper (which just happens to be made out of fondant) could be supported by a quick bread -- and the answer is yes if you dowel it as I described above--

you never asked if bbread could hold up under fondant -- but I answered that question anyway :) no extra charge :)

best to you

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%