Buttercream Stenciling

Decorating By kentlybp Updated 25 Jan 2016 , 5:50pm by kentlybp

kentlybp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kentlybp Posted 21 Jan 2016 , 5:36am
post #1 of 4

Hi all,

I'm preparing to do my first stencil work, and I have a couple of questions: 

1.) do I need to use a crusted buttercream in order to make this work? It's for a wedding cake (not something I do often), and I can't remember the last time I used a crusted buttercream. I usually use Swiss or Italian buttercream. 

2.) I may end up having to make this stencil myself. Any suggestions? I haven't done it before. I'd be fine with purchasing one, but it all comes down to what the client wants. 

3.) if crusted buttercream is a must, good recipe suggestions would be great. 

4.) Does royal icing work on buttercream? 

(Other suggestions and/or hints are appreciated!)

Thanks in advance! smiley.png

3 replies
shaloop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shaloop Posted 21 Jan 2016 , 2:46pm
post #2 of 4

If you get the cake very cold so that the buttercream is hard you can stencil on smb.

Honey6983 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Honey6983 Posted 23 Jan 2016 , 3:23pm
post #3 of 4

I have stenciled royal icing onto crusting buttercream before. You could try a recipe like Toba Garrett's (http://www.cakecupboard.com/?tag=toba-garrett). Make sure the cake is well chilled. At that point, I just pretend the cake is fondant covered (i.e. apply my stencil with pins and spread a thin layer of RI onto stencil). It just takes practice and patience. I have not made my own stencils (sounds like a nightmare LOL) but let us know if you try it!

kentlybp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kentlybp Posted 25 Jan 2016 , 5:50pm
post #4 of 4

Thank you both! I appreciate your insight. Honey6983, making my own stencil sounds like a nightmare to me too, so I'm hoping to find one ready-made that my clients like. I have some time before this wedding, but if I end up making one, I'll let you know how it works out! 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%