Getting A True Gold

Decorating By Eva2 Updated 22 Jan 2016 , 12:29am by Amps.prkns

Eva2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eva2 Posted 21 Jan 2016 , 1:29am
post #1 of 8

I need to get a true gold color on a wedding cake that is edible. I tried using gold glaze but it leaves brush marks. I am looking for a very clean look. Can anyone suggest anything. 

7 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 21 Jan 2016 , 11:49am
post #2 of 8

sure -- gold foil will do it -- it is edible and expensive -- if you find a good deal on it it is not real gold nor edible -- there's a bit of a leaning curve because it will blow away by just your breath --

just turning the leaves in the booklet it comes in  can cause it to slide on itself and dissolve -- but you learn quick enough so be sure to purchase enough to cover the cake and a few extras 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nikkineale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nikkineale Posted 21 Jan 2016 , 12:15pm
post #4 of 8

I use the wilton spray.  I use them for ailver and gold.  The gold i found if i apray them and then add dust it comes out nice.  

Eva2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eva2 Posted 21 Jan 2016 , 1:20pm
post #5 of 8

Thank you everyone!!!!!

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 21 Jan 2016 , 9:33pm
post #6 of 8

Also, if you can color in advance whatever it is that you want to be gold--buttercream, fondant, gum paste, etc.--it will help a lot.  I usually find that a brownish yellow with the gold dust/paint on it looks very rich.  If you use a light yellow or a dark brown, you'll get different results.  It's a good idea to do some tests before you commit because what's under the gold effects the final result a lot.

CookiePushin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookiePushin Posted 21 Jan 2016 , 10:35pm
post #7 of 8

AS maybenot suggested, dying whatever medium beforehand some shade of yellow provides a great base for the gold.

Amps.prkns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amps.prkns Posted 22 Jan 2016 , 12:29am
post #8 of 8

I use the gold Wilton spray lightly and then use chef rubber (brand) gold and dust the whole thing. That way you have no brush strokes and a nice sparkly gold.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%