Trying To Make A Wedding Cake Success!

Baking By thebakergirl Updated 19 Jan 2016 , 11:25pm by kakeladi

thebakergirl Posted 19 Jan 2016 , 6:14pm
post #1 of 7

Okay, I need some helpful advice.

My Mother is getting married and She wants me to do the wedding cake. pretty simple rosette 3 tiered cake. Although I have to confess I haven't done a cake of this magnitude, my experience is limited to cupcakes.  But I have watched youtube videos and read blogs , and I'm going to start practicing soon. But my question is concerned  the cakes themselves.

Do they have to be sponge or can they be a regular cake?  and if so does anyone have a recipe for sponge?

And another question popped into my head, They say to make the cakes 2 days in advance , but can you do it three or four. cause I also have to do a groomsman cake and some cupcakes. 

Anyway, I am really excited for the challenge and I know I can do it. Oh, and if anyone has anymore advice concerning wedding cakes or anything else for me, that would be great. 

Thank you and God Bless!!blush.png

6 replies
-K8memphis Posted 19 Jan 2016 , 6:25pm
post #2 of 7

my advice is only be responsible for the cakes -- don't try and do anything else besides arrive in one piece with the cakes -- dressed in wedding attire that may or may not have ices smudges on it -- seriously no other things on thebakergirl's list to do -- not one 

yes you must make things in advance -- what's a 'regular cake'?

best to you

640Cake Posted 19 Jan 2016 , 7:20pm
post #3 of 7

The cakes will be stacked and resting on your supports, not the cake itself, so pretty much any cake recipe will do. I am assuming you will be stacking the cakes and then traveling, since you mentioned rosette cakes? You may want to look into separator plates for your support.  Great support for traveling cake and easy to use.  You can freeze your cakes days, even weeks, in advance.  Freeze them filled and crumb coated.  Wrap in plastic and let them thaw in the fridge the day before you want to decorate them.

thebakergirl Posted 19 Jan 2016 , 7:38pm
post #4 of 7

Thank you and a White cake. Just a white cake with buttercream.

-K8memphis Posted 19 Jan 2016 , 7:43pm
post #5 of 7

these really take a lot of guess work out:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Bakery+Crafts+Round+Separator+Plate%2C+8-Inch

with a respectful nod to leah_s who is a huge supporter of sps single plate system

cathicake Posted 19 Jan 2016 , 9:27pm
post #6 of 7

An easy and super reliable system is the one from Cakestackers.  It's so sturdy and really makes delivery and setup stress free.

Have fun!

kakeladi Posted 19 Jan 2016 , 11:25pm
post #7 of 7

.............Do they have to be sponge or can they be a regular cake?  and if so does anyone have a recipe for sponge?  And another question  They say to make the cakes 2 days in advance , but can you do it three or four. cause I also have to do a groomsman cake and some cupcakes. ...........

I get the feeling you are not in the US and that is why you are asking about sponge and 'regular' cakes.  As another poster said what you are calling 'regular' cake can be made up to several weeks ahead....fill, crumb coat, wrap well in plastic and fz.

A great cake recipe is kakeladi's  *original* WASC cake recipe.  Perfect for wedding cakes - especially if you are going to use b'cream rosettes.  When you read the recipe through you will see that *ANY*! cake mix flavor can be used - not just white.  Personally I love butter pecan or fr. vanilla.  So you can bake both the wedding cake and the grooms cake ahead of time.  I prefer to do cupcakes at the last minute but I have read on here many bake them ahead & fz those also.  Yes, even what you call 'regular' cake can be completely finished 2 or 3 days ahead.  But remember the longer ahead it is finished the less time anyone will have to enjoy any leftovers.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%