Two Tiered Help!

Decorating By BakerMac Updated 20 Jan 2016 , 6:56pm by flourandsun

BakerMac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakerMac Posted 19 Jan 2016 , 4:30pm
post #1 of 13

Hi Everyone!

I need a better way to cut my dowels! Ive seen ppl on many website and youtube channels I follow, use cutters to just snip the dowel to the appropriate size and be done with it. RIght now, its such an annoying process, I was wondering if you guys knew what a) those cutters would be or b) things you've found that help you.

Thanks again.

12 replies
ropalma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ropalma Posted 19 Jan 2016 , 4:43pm
post #2 of 13

I do not use dowels anymore because of the same reason.  I use the thick Bubble Straws.  They are plastic so much easier to cut with just scissors.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
640Cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
640Cake Posted 19 Jan 2016 , 7:23pm
post #4 of 13

Ditto ropalma.  I use straws. Easier to cut, easier to keep on-hand, and same support.

cuky21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cuky21 Posted 19 Jan 2016 , 8:58pm
post #5 of 13

I've seen people use PVC cutters, but haven't tried that myself.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 19 Jan 2016 , 11:29pm
post #6 of 13

Oh definitely use plastic straws.  They are *very* strong for the average tiered cake -  unless you are talking 5 tiers like 18;16;12+ stacked :)    Why invest $$ in another special tool when you can use a simple pair of scissors? 

BakerMac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakerMac Posted 19 Jan 2016 , 11:48pm
post #7 of 13

Thanks guys! Where would I buy the bubble tea straws from??

cuky21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cuky21 Posted 20 Jan 2016 , 2:34pm
post #8 of 13

I've been thinking about using bubble tea staws but it scares me that it's not stable enough.

What's the bigger cake you have made using the bubble straws?

640Cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
640Cake Posted 20 Jan 2016 , 2:42pm
post #9 of 13

I usually get mine from my local grocers.  Wally World (Walsmart) has them as well.  I even bought a pack of them at IKEA before.  You could also order them online if your local grocers don't carry them.  The straws I buy do not actually state 'bubble tea' straws, but you can definitely see the size difference compared to a regular drinking straw.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 20 Jan 2016 , 3:54pm
post #10 of 13

originally available in Asian markets to go with their bubble tea now available in many more places 

cuky21 --  i often  use different size dowel throughout the cake -- i especially like the 3/4" hollow plastic ones for bottom tiers because they provide nice stability and i use the clippers (i posted the link for upthread) to snip them -- then i might use bubble straws in mid tiers and bamboo skewers or real skinny straws in the upper tier/s --

if it's a poppa bear size cake i get 1" wooden dowel cut at the hardware store -- they just stand up by themselves nothing's gonna fall with those things in there -- but only for the bottom tier/s -- i would wash them with a wet towel and i'd dip them in wax to prevent that woodsy flavor from penetrating the cake --

another tidbit about those hollow dowel after inserting/measuring one dowel and cutting the remainder to that same size -- line them all up on the table llllll like that and place a ruler on the cut ends and scootch them back and forth to be certain all the cuts are even -- if any of them pop up or lag behind you need to trim or recut --

and the biggie with any straw is this -- do NOT place them all in the tier and snip them all off at once -- you insert ONE measure it and cut all of others to that same mark so it provides a level stable basis for the cakes above it

dowel overload 

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 20 Jan 2016 , 4:10pm
post #11 of 13

Or, just use SPS.  The legs come pre-cut to 4", 5", 7', and a pre-scored for cutting 9" length.  

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 20 Jan 2016 , 6:03pm
post #12 of 13

Depending on how much baking you do I usually just get a handful from a local fast food place :)  Like McDonalds- they have nice fat straws.  You can ask the employees "Will you sell me these?" and usually they will say just take them.    The biggest cake I have made using them was probably 3 tiers - maybe 4 ( like 16,12,9,6" Rounds).   

In a 16" where a 12 sits on it I would use maybe  8 straws; in the 12" topped a 9 there would be 5 or 6 and in the 9 topped by a 6"er use 3.  That should give you an idea of  how many are needed.  If you look through my album on here you will see some of the tiered cakes I have made.  Not all of them used straws - didn't start into using them until some years along in my baking world :)

flourandsun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flourandsun Posted 20 Jan 2016 , 6:56pm
post #13 of 13

I love bubble tea straw for my smaller tiered cakes! I buy them from amazon :) 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%