Mini Wedding Cakes

Decorating By Brandy1621 Updated 21 Jan 2016 , 11:39am by -K8memphis

Brandy1621 Posted 18 Jan 2016 , 11:50pm
post #1 of 6

I am looking for a way to decorate some mini wedding cakes for a bridal shower. I baked a pound cake in a sheet pan and cut out the layers 2 1/2", 2", and 1". I plan on making royal toothpick roses also.  I do not want to even attempt fondant as I am not good at it.  I am thinking about just cutting fondant the same size as the tiers and basically it would be just naked cake except the tops with marshmallow fondant.  I really want these too look great though.  So I was thinking of poured fondant but didn't know if that would work.  I also looked for Kathy Scott's molds, but I can't find her website or her on eBay.  If anyone can help it would be so great.  Any kits like Kathy's where I can use chocolate or any other ideas.

5 replies
kakeladi Posted 19 Jan 2016 , 12:33am
post #2 of 6

I never had good luck w/poured fondant:(   I suggest using your idea.  You could always cut a strip of fondant to go around the sides and match up w/the top layer thereby covering the cake completely and use the roses around the top to hide the seam.  Or you could very lighlty spray the cakes w/simple syrup thereby ( sort of) sealing it so it won';t dry out.

-K8memphis Posted 19 Jan 2016 , 2:16pm
post #3 of 6

i'm like kakeladi -- petit fours, poured fondant seems like such an easy great idea  but no it's a huge pia -- however i have worked for many different bakeries -- the one i want to mention here for you took canned frosting off the shelf from the grocery store, warmed it and dipped their cookies in it -- worked perfectly -- so there's a thought for you --

if canned icing does not agree with you maybe just take a regular homemade  *American buttercream and try it -- warm it up and dip and see how you like it -- i mean they put it in a pot and warmed it on an electric burner and dipped away -- worked brilliantly --

if you want a more opaque white try adding titanium dioxide --

but just a couple random thoughts for you

*American buttercream is confectioner's sugar, fat and cream

hope all goes very well

and for the record i always had such a miserable time with poured fondant items i just swore them off but if i had to make them i'd try this -- emphasis on *try* -- don't know why  i sucked so bad at this but i know i'm not alone :) in fact this makes me wanna try again...hahaha

Brandy1621 Posted 19 Jan 2016 , 3:23pm
post #4 of 6

Thank you. What made me want to do poured fondant is so they wouldn't be as messy and sticky. I may give it a whirl both ways and see what looks good If they made tiny cardboard cake stands it wouldn't be as big of a deal or if you have any ideas

-K8memphis Posted 19 Jan 2016 , 3:40pm
post #5 of 6

here's some 4" boards you can Google to locate the 3" -- i'm not positive where you live...a few sites overseas from me showed up -- they are readily available most everywhere though -- even your local cake stores --

the canned icing sets up great & we decorated the cookies & bagged 'em up after that --

would love to see what you come up with if the photo posting gods agree :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%