Painting Fondant Different Shades Of Brown (Or Possibly Using Markers).

Decorating By Magda_MI Updated 20 Jan 2016 , 5:16am by Magda_MI

Magda_MI Posted 17 Jan 2016 , 4:09am
post #1 of 4

I'm planning a cake copy of this dance floor, which is assembled and disassembled each year for a medieval/renaissance event.  I'm planning to make the floor boards ahead of time from fondant, paint the patterns on, then assemble them onto the cake later.  I'm figuring 1.5" per square (originals are 4 feet), and total size of the floor will be 12x20" (on 2 14" square cakes side by side, with grass around the floor).

What I'm waffling about is
1) Will Ivory fondant (probably Satin Ice) will be dark enough for the background color or will I'll have to tint it?  Or is there a fondant that comes in more of a beige plywood color?

2) how to do the detail work, in 2 different shades of brown, at that scale.  I'd love to use edible markers, but don't know if I could find them in two browns different enough to work.  For those who've used different marker brands, how do they compare in color?  If I need to paint or use a marker for one color and paint the other, any suggestions of specific shades of brown food color or dust to use?

First pic is what the floor looks like now, second is from when it was new.

Floor pics:

Thanks in advance.

*Last edited by Magda_MI on 17 Jan 2016 , 4:59am
3 replies
-K8memphis Posted 18 Jan 2016 , 10:03am
post #2 of 4

i tested this on candy clay because i don't have any fondant but it will be easier on fondant especially if you dry it first -- anyhow i only have one color brown edible ink marker and it's the americolor gourmet brand marker -- although there are other brands --

but for the other lighter brown you can mix two markers yellow and orange, brown and yellow, brown and orange or yellow and purple to nàme a few possibilities as ypierce thankfully keeps reminding me/us -- so just do some experimenting and you'll get where you want to go -- you can trim the tips of the markers to be more fine point if that's a factor in your work too --

i was very interested in your post and had just enoughn time to do my test before i went to church yesterday but then i forgot to post when I got back --

anyhow i think ei markers are a good way to go

best to you

-K8memphis Posted 18 Jan 2016 , 10:14am
post #3 of 4

and i would tint the fondant with a good amount of Wilton ivory color first -- should be perfect -- i don't know if they make that specific color of pre-colored fondant -- although brown + fondant would also work -- 

and a tip for you -- you can 'erase' marker with water - and use this to blend too if that helps

Magda_MI Posted 20 Jan 2016 , 5:16am
post #4 of 4

Thanks K8.  I just got the Americolor markers in the mail today (local shops only have the Wilton ones), and will pick up some ivory fondant this weekend to experiment with, then get making floorboards either this weekend or next and letting them dry, to decorate at my leisure over the next month or so.  The cake is for March 5th, but I won't have a lot of time to work on it that week, (working full time, plus have a jury duty summons for the Monday before) so I want to get as much done as possible before then.

Quote by @%username% on %date%