Help With Suggestions On Wedding Cake

Decorating By kdkovach Updated 16 Jan 2016 , 5:19am by julia1812

kdkovach Posted 16 Jan 2016 , 2:18am
post #1 of 4

My daughter has chosen this cake for her wedding and I am at a loss as to how to start the bark because she only likes whip cream icing.  I am also worried because I have never stacked a cake this way and not sure If I can do this. Any suggestions?

Love this country wedding cake:

3 replies
costumeczar Posted 16 Jan 2016 , 4:08am
post #2 of 4

To get this look you really have to use fondant. You can do a bark look with buttercream, but not whipped cream icing, and even then it won't look the same. Some things just don't translate between fondant and buttercream well. 

As far as the stacking, this is one of the cakes where there would be a central post that goes all the way though and is attached securely to the cake board, then the tiers are slid down over the central post onto plates that are attached to the post at an angle. It take a good bit of advanced planning.

kdkovach Posted 16 Jan 2016 , 4:40am
post #3 of 4

I thought as much about the icing vs. the fondant. I talked to my daughter about this difference and she really does not like anything but icing so she has decided to choose a different cake. Thank you for you advice.

julia1812 Posted 16 Jan 2016 , 5:19am
post #4 of 4

I also don't like fondant and what I do is I simply peel the fondant off a slice of cake to eat it. Takes 2 seconds and is really no big deal. On the other hand it's her wedding cake so it's probably advisable to go with something she likes.  But sometimes a bride needs to choose between design and taste...

Quote by @%username% on %date%