Strawberry Filling?

Baking By Cakemoms24 Updated 20 Jan 2016 , 12:26am by Cakemoms24

Cakemoms24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakemoms24 Posted 15 Jan 2016 , 10:11pm
post #1 of 10

I have an upcoming cake requesting vanilla cake and strawberry filling. Wondered if anyone suggested a good recipe other than cooking strawberries and sugar on the stove then later filling the cake, I am covering cake in fondant so don't want filling real runny (not sure if that will compromise the cake either way) thanks!!!

9 replies
julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 16 Jan 2016 , 5:26am
post #2 of 10

I've used cooked down fruits many times as a filling and never had an issue. If you're worried about it leaking to the outside then pipe a dam but I normally even skip that. You can cook it into a jam and use that or into a curd or you mix it with buttercream. Either way works. When I was young baking with my grandma we even used fresh whole raspberries as filling with whipped cream as a filling and it was the best cake ever (*single layer cake!). The trick she used to prevent the juice of the raspberries to leak into the layer beneith was to sprinkle the layer with baking powder. 

Cakemoms24 Posted 16 Jan 2016 , 1:17pm
post #3 of 10

Good to know!! I will try it:) thanks

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 16 Jan 2016 , 2:23pm
post #4 of 10

Watch out with strawberry fillings, they're slippery. Whenever anyone posts on here about their cake layers sliding or the cake collapsing the first thing I ask is if strawberry filling was involved. Most of the time the answer is yes.

When I do strawberry fillings I just put actual fresh sliced strawberries in between two layers of strawberry buttercream like this: http://acaketorememberva.blogspot.com/2013/08/how-to-use-sliced-strawberries-inside.html

Doing it that way keeps everything stuck together, and people really like the fresh fruit.

If you do want to do a preserves-type of filling, put it on very thin!

Cakemoms24 Posted 16 Jan 2016 , 5:11pm
post #5 of 10

if i was just using a vanilla buttercream is that still okay to put in between layers with the strawberries then?

Jinkies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jinkies Posted 17 Jan 2016 , 1:09am
post #6 of 10

Yes, you can put them in any buttercream you'd like.  Put a layer of buttercream and press  the sliced strawberries in the top.  Then, add some more buttercream over the berries.  This kind of seals them in so they don't slide around on you.  Then place your next layer of cake.

Just make sure to refrigerate the cake once cut because those sucker will mold quickly if left on the counter :)

Cakemoms24 Posted 17 Jan 2016 , 4:05am
post #7 of 10

If it's covered in fondant can I refrigerate each tier before I transport it? I have to deliver it about an hour away

Jinkies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jinkies Posted 17 Jan 2016 , 1:24pm
post #8 of 10

Yes, you can.  It may or may not show some condensation as it comes back to room temp but that is fine, it will dry.  Just try not to touch it too much while it's wet as they may leave fingerprints.  I always refrigerate my fondant cakes and have never had an issue. 

LeanneW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeanneW Posted 17 Jan 2016 , 7:07pm
post #9 of 10

I recommend you add the cooked down berry/sugar/cornstarch mixture to your buttercream and use that as a filling.

Cakemoms24 Posted 20 Jan 2016 , 12:26am
post #10 of 10

Okay thanks!! and should I be able to steam the cake before i let it stay in the freezer? to then be transported in a container/tiered cake box

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%